Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar?

/ Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar? #1  

tmajor

Platinum Member
Tractor
2010 MF 1529, Woods ZTR MZ1952, National Mower sickle bar circa 1963
My PTO wobbles, somewhat. I hooked the brush hog up today, just to see how it acted and it shakes it up pretty good. I was wondering what's involved in getting the shaft out and can it be straightened? OR, .. can it be straightened with a block of wood and the right size sledge hammer? ... possibly a support, under it, close to the tractor?

Last edited:
   / Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar? #2  
My advice is to replace it. Those shafts run on very precise bearings. If it is out of Tolerance on the outside, it is most likely out of tolerance on the inside. Being out of Tolerance on the inside I will cause excessive wear on the transmission and lead to early failure. I have seen an old 8n Ford run for years with a bent shaft. They were built like tanks and had slack. The new ones are much tighter.

/ Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar?
@Rider7767
That's probably good advice. I'm waiting on a service manual, to see what that has to say. It seems to spin easily by hand and doesn't leak. If I had to guess, I'd say, "some rookie, jack knifed the back wheel into the PTO, at some point". ??

/ Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar? #4  
A PTO shaft runs at a pretty slow speed,,,
If you had a machinist, that really knew what he was doing, he could straighten it within tolerance.

BUT, his charge would be pretty close to what a new shaft would cost,,,

THEN, there is a chance,,, the straightened shaft will have a crack, that will fatigue,,, and fail in the future....

The new one may be the cheap answer, in the long run!! :thumbsup:

Options, options,,, decisions,,,, :confused:

/ Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar? #5  
I think given enough time anyone with a press and dial indicator could straighten it within acceptable tolerances. Even a straight edge would probably work.

/ Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar? #6  
You maybe able to make the shaft "straighter" but the shaft will not be "straight".

/ Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar? #7  
Just keep in mind, the shaft from the factory is with in 4 to 5 thousands of an inch of true.

/ Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar? #8  
   / Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar?
Ordered a new PTO shaft this morning. Surprisingly, it was only $98.00. I had ordered and received new decals for the hood badge and steering wheel .. One was $43.00 and one was $25.00! "Sticker shock"! ... as, I hadn't priced them before ordering them.

/ Has anyone removed and straightened a PTO shaft on a MF 1529 or similar? #10  
Ordered a new PTO shaft this morning. Surprisingly, it was only $98.00. I had ordered and received new decals for the hood badge and steering wheel .. One was $43.00 and one was $25.00! "Sticker shock"! ... as, I hadn't priced them before ordering them.
I would look hard at the bearings. Wish you the best. Take pictures.