Thread for MF 1529

/ Thread for MF 1529
I pretty much have all of the cosmetic work done ... mostly just cleaning, removing rust, a little touch up paint, and replacing the turn signal/hazard lights on the inside of the ROPS. Loader is off, to take the tractor to "my guy" to change the PTO and seal in the front axle. Also, note: Lower ROPS.

M1.JPG M2.JPG M3.JPG
M4.JPG M5.JPG L1.JPG

Last edited:
   / Thread for MF 1529
I had found a used drawbar, which I installed on the 1529. Then I was reading a thread, where the guy's drawbar lost the pin, and then slid rearward until the brush hog grabbed it and ripped a big hole in the bottom of the aluminum rear housing.

The first thing, which I did, was to check, if my rear was aluminum ... nope, cast iron. I didn't want the drawbar to slide out, in any case!, so I pulled the drawbar and dropped a 3/4" bolt into the furthest, forward hole and slid the drawbar in from the front. Hopefully, if I should lose the drawbar pin, the forward bolt will stop the drawbar, when the bolt reaches the front of the drawbar bracket. The bolt head is close to the underside of the rear, so it can't get out of there.

Add pix:

DB1.JPG DB2.JPG

Last edited:
   / Thread for MF 1529
I knew my rear tires were over "loaded". When I had the puncture, I couldn't get anything but Rim-Guard from the valve stem. The guy at Rim-Guard, said "the tires appeared to over filled. They recommended 75%". So today, I drained them, while intermittently adding air, until I got just air, when the valve stem was at 12 o'clock. Then inflated them to 12 PSI. I probably drained about 1-1/2 gallons from the 2 tires.

/ Thread for MF 1529
Received MF 1529/1532 Service Manual from SSB Tractor today. .... $40.00 plus shipping. Now, I can rip and tear!

/ Thread for MF 1529
I got into the front final drive his afternoon. Not too bad. I suspect, water may have gotten in the joint and froze. Sitting outdoors is hard on a tractor or any machinery!

/ Thread for MF 1529
Putting the front final drive together wouldn't have been too bad going together, but ... the new seal had an "undetectable metal collar" inside of it. I couldn't get the spindle to slide into place. By accident, I discovered the metal ring, which, I suspect was to help hold it compressed a bit or to have a hard surface to drive it in. ?? Once I got rid of that, it went together with no problem.

Today, I got the PTO replaced, with the help of my mechanic. He took a couple of days to try and make some more hay, so suggested I give it a shot. I needed stronger c-ring pliers, which be brought to me. We pulled the shaft, and something dropped to the bottom. Fortunately, there is a removable plate underneath, which was needed, to retrieve the bearing, which dropped and an access hole to hold everything in place, while inserting the new PTO shaft. Works fine on the brush hog, now.

/ Thread for MF 1529 #27  
Has anyone come with an aerosol gray paint color and source, which matches the chassis of these newer MFs?

I bought a 1455 that sat in a field it's whole life, so I've been looking at paint too. Turns out TSC sells Rustoleum's "Farm and Implement" paint in Massey Ferguson Gray in both quart/gallon and spray cans. Of course, they don't carry Massey Ferguson Red... That's OK, Rustoleum Sunrise Red will be close enough for my old tractor. :)

/ Thread for MF 1529
The MF, which TSC has, is the color for the older Massey's. The new chassis color is called "New Chassis Gray", which seems to be available, only from a dealer. I had a dealer send me a can.

/ Thread for MF 1529
Yesterday, I believe, I nearly got my accreditation on New Holland. Neighbor's tractor shut off in the middle of his field. We worked on it in the field for a bit, and then I pulled it, with my MF to his garage. It turned out, the Fuel Shut-Off Solenoid wasn't getting any power. I believe, the problem was the under-dash connections or relay connections. I pulled all the relays, checked and reinstalled same. We also, separated all of the connectors, sprayed them and reconnected. At that point, the F-S-O solenoid wire had power. ?? I thought the one relay had the proper wire colors, but upon pulling that, it said "Glow Plug Timer". The tractor only had 5-6 relays, while the diagram, we were looking at, pictured about 9.

Today, I mounted, on the ROPS, my "modified" 30 cal. ammo box (because I felt, it was too deep), to hold lynch pins, top-link pin and a few small items.

Tomorrow, I've got a leveling box coming, which I hope, I can adapt to the MF 1529.

box1.JPG

/ Thread for MF 1529 #30  
That spot on the ROPS is where I typically set my chainsaw. Two bungee cords hold it very secure while I head to and from the woods. I'm still looking for a good place to integrate a small toolbox.