Built a Kubota-based snow plow for my GC 2400

/ Built a Kubota-based snow plow for my GC 2400 #1  

blackd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FX24D replaced with Massey GC2400
The build description is in the "Build it yourself", but I wanted to identify the differences between the two quick attach versions. I found a new Kubota quick attach male portion for 1/2 price on that "E"sales site. They are not totally identical to the MF version, but easily adaptable. The differences are that the MF front frame member is shorter than the Kubota , and needs a bottom extension of about 3/4 to 1". I just bolted a piece of steel which conveniently had holes at the correct placement. The bolts conveniently allow the bottom portion of the mount to stand off ~1" from the power steering cylinder. The Kubota mount also is longer than the MF version. That portion which extends below the tractor needs to be cut off. Those relatively simple changes gives you a functioning (up/down) male front quick attach.

There is a difference in hydraulic hook ups between the MF & Kubota tractors. MY GC 2400 has the female Quick Attach connectors on the connection block. While the Kubota has them on the lines. I replaced them on the Kubota hydraulic lines male shoe attachment. A trivial ~$2-30 fix.

What I did next was to buy a Kubota female shoe for a snow blower. That is ~ $220. It requires the removal/cutting off of the snow blower attachment components. I bought this as I was undecided whether to go with hydraulic angle change. The Kubota shoe with hydraulic angle change for the plow is ~ $400. Once you have these two male & female pieces you can mount almost any plow with some relatively simple fabrication.

Late in the build I decided to go with with hydraulic angle change, and included a 8" double acting cylinder, for which I had to fabricate (actually had to weld) on some attachment plates with 1" holes. My final step is to paint it. Still not done, yet.

So just keep your eyes open for buys and imagine/engineer your own plow. This one is ~1/4 the price of new and ~1/2 the price of a used MF or Kubota plow (if you can find one.)

This is what it looks like from left & right side.

Attachments

• IMG_20161027_100333.jpg
    IMG_20161027_100333.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 669
  • IMG_20161027_100135.jpg
    IMG_20161027_100135.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 595
Last edited:
   / Built a Kubota-based snow plow for my GC 2400 #2  
So where did you get the hydraulic for your angle- from the FEL joystick?

Looks pretty good! Some time back I picked up some used equipment; I mainly wanted the Woods 4' tiller, but also got a York rake and a plow. Bought a M-F quick-attach "shoe" thing, but never finished the project to mount the plow. Maybe someday, but so far my front-mount blower has been able to take care of everything; I thought maybe the plow would be better for those light snows.

/ Built a Kubota-based snow plow for my GC 2400 #3  
That looks like a Bolens tube frame plow. That's what I based mine on.

But, I used two of them. I cut one in half, and welded it to each end, so I had a 72" plow.

IMG_1069.JPG
God only knows why TBN's software turned the picture sideways. But, if you click on it. it's going the right way.

/ Built a Kubota-based snow plow for my GC 2400
Irvingj, yes for the hydraulics hook up. Just like the 2360 does.

It was those light and WET snows that convinced me to build it. I tried everything, including a new 2360 blower, but nothing was quite what I wanted. Sold the 2360 after it failed 2 years running with wet snows. If you already have the female shoe, just a few hours of relatively simple fab work would have a 2-3 minute replaceable blower or plow.

Ray, a 72" plow on a GC2310? Good on'ya. I agree I think it is a Bolens plow. It was already 54", so decided to just use wings if I need more. I am looking for an abandoned tire to cut and install as wing extensions.

/ Built a Kubota-based snow plow for my GC 2400 #6  
I did not know if a GC would push a 72" plow.

I cut the ends off, and welded them on, to see what happens. I figured I could cut it down, until I was satisfied with it.

To my surprise, it has no problem pushing the full 72". And, I plow on gravel. :confused3:

I have never seen a 54" Bolens plow? They are usually 42".

Those plows are well made, readily available, and perfect for the job.

/ Built a Kubota-based snow plow for my GC 2400 #7  
Yeah, blackd, that was the idea. As it is, I can drop the blower, leave the male quick hitch shoe on, and put the FEL on if I need to, all in less than 10 minutes. The weather keeps changing, so maybe we'll get more of the wet stuff and I'll go back to work on that idea....

The Woods plow is actually a back blade; kinda got stumped on how to "turn it around" to make a front plow & still have the angling feature. Didn't spend too much time on it -- too many other projects to attend to! (Maybe I need to invite Ray to come over & take a look....!)

Woods RB-60 back blade.JPGDSC04113.JPGDSC04114.JPG

ray, I also have a gravel drive, and that was another problem with the 2360 snow blower. I agree it is well made, heavier than the average small plow.

My purpose in making this post was to show how readily easy and cost effective it was to build your own plow while describing the compatibility issues of similar looking components. I certainly could have built a plow cheaper by fabricating a tractor front hanger matching the plow of choice. But, when I saw that new Kubota QA front at 1/2 price, my mind was made up. I think I have ~12-14 hours in doing the fabrication, and that could have been halved with experience and prior planning.

For anyone reading this post and wondering what equipment is necessary to build these plows, the only thing necessary may be a welder or access to one. But, even that could be changed with appropriately sized and placed of nuts and bolts. The other nice to have item is a grinder and cut off wheel for those trimming functions. The only tool I added to my arsenal was a 1" bi-metal hole saw used to make the holes in the attachment plates.

Irvingj, look for a used snow plow and mount that shoe to it. Most will have manual angle change. Using your back blade is less than optimum since the mount point is high on the blade even with the 3Pt removed, and it doesn't roll over have springs to alleviate the occasional hard object hit. This is the kind of thing you should look for: CRAFTSMAN SEARS 48" SNOW PLOW DOZER BLADE FOR GARDEN TRACTOR

ray, "That looks like a Bolens tube frame plow." After more research, it looks like Bolens, Troy-bilt, Toro, Garden-way etc. used the same manufacturer of snow blades. The major CUTS brands do the same, using RAD Industries as their supplier. That's why they are so similar.