how do you guys fuel your small tractors

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #51  
Hey guys

I have a 1705 that i use often and its getting old filling it with 5 gallon jugs. So I went on a search and found this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200609589_200609589

I did order it and received it the day before I flew out for work. Anyway it looked nicely made and I'm excited to give her a try. Very light weight when its empty. You can hook it up your tractor battery to run it So its simple and nimble to have. Has anyone used one of these before

thanks

I am in the process of converting a 250g fuel oil tank into a diesel tank and gonna buy an electric pump for it, I'm also going to buy non road diesel.

Right now I have a gas station about 1/4 mile down the road I drive to to fill up my tractor.

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #52  
My bottom line for fuel transfer in my small tractor was to not lift anymore 5 gallon containers. I had not thought about using 2.5 gallon size containers. Thus my goal was achieved with this set up:View attachment 489631 004.JPG

The setup is not permanent as you can see. So arranging it all takes a few minutes..........BUT, i don't actually lift the 5 gallon containers anymore.003.JPG

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #53  
To follow up on my 12V fuel pump purchase results...

Last week I filled up the tractors and the pump worked fine...
Pumped out two 5 gallon containers in no time...
The hook up to my battery was painless...
I used the tractor battery to power the unit...

Pros: Inexpensive, powerful and fast,
Cons: Somewhat cumbersome, no easy way to store, does not pump out every last drop

This may not be the best overall solution to many but works fine for me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-12...=item2eeff640d0:g:qTkAAOSwxehXOrYQ&rmvSB=true

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #54  
I hate to sound like a party pooper but that pump is anything but heavy duty and certainly not fast. Flimsy plastic isn't it ? They used to give those away with the purchase of a kerosene heater. I used one for filling the old kerosene heaters from a 5 gal can. Hopefully you did not pay much on E Bay. Among other things, they are primarily syphons so the can has to be above the tank. Otherwise continually squeezing the flexible plastic hand bulb.

I've had a couple of those also. I can't imagine getting 5 gallons/minute to flow through one of those. One of the biggest problems is that the discharge tube isn't long enough to stay in the tank until a 5 gallon can is empty unless the can is sitting on top of the tank. My experience with them had me quickly looking for a big funnel.

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #55  
I have posted my solution other times on a few sites but will share again. Mine is much the same as Oldballs from above . I only need to store 5 gals or so of gas or diesel at a time so filling up a can or 2 at the station is no big deal. I've tried most of the 'super siphons' and whatever but most are to slow if they even work. I finally bought a 12 volt Fill- Rite pump for a skid tank and mounted it permanently to the bench in my gas shed with a flexible pick up hose that I can stick in either a can of gas or diesel. Can fill my tractor , ATV, snowmobiles ,lawn mower, whatever very easily. I think the 12 volt pump was cheaper than a 120 volt pump and I usually have an extra battery around. I think there are more options on the market now as to size and price from Fill- Rite. The biggest problem was getting over the cost of the pump but I'm over that now.
Al

Last edited:
   / how do you guys fuel your small tractors #56  
I use 5 gallon cans if remote but have diesel delivered to my main place.

For those who consider a 5 gallon can too heavy, just put 2 or 3 gallons in it, no need to buy a new can.