Massey hydro HST pedals

/ Massey hydro HST pedals #1  

MaximizerMatt

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC40D, LS J2023H (sold), JD 6215 (sold), JD 455 mower, CaseIH DX35 (sold), JD X740, Husqvarna HUV 4421D
I've never run a HST Massey, but am looking. Owners: how do you like the suspended hydro forward/reverse pedals on the 1700 series? They look just like left/right brake pedals. Are they the same as on the 1500 and 1600 series, or floor mounted like JD's Twin-Touch pedals? I like the twin touch style pedals like on JD, LS, Case IH/New Holland (larger frame Shibauras), Kioti, Branson, TYM, etc. I'm NOT keen on the single treadle pedal on a Kubota and some other brands.

TIA,
Matthew

/ Massey hydro HST pedals #2  
I've never run a HST Massey, but am looking. Owners: how do you like the suspended hydro forward/reverse pedals on the 1700 series? They look just like left/right brake pedals. Are they the same as on the 1500 and 1600 series, or floor mounted like JD's Twin-Touch pedals? I like the twin touch style pedals like on JD, LS, Case IH/New Holland (larger frame Shibauras), Kioti, Branson, TYM, etc. I'm NOT keen on the single treadle pedal on a Kubota and some other brands.

TIA,
Matthew

I have limited experience only between my New Holland TC33D and my Massey 1736. My preference is my New Holland with its rocker pedal.

First, you can not simultaneously go forward and backwards as there is only one pedal. Not that I have tried or accidently hit both pedals on my Massey but it seems like it could be done (if you did it, I wonder which direction you would go?)

Second, it is intuitive, to go forward you apply pressure with your toes. To go backwards you apply pressure with your heal. On my Massey the 2 pedals are side by side and until you learn which one is forward and which one is reverse mistakes can happen.

Third, and while I am guessing this not as much a pedal issue, but more in the design of the hydrostatic system. On my New Holland I can be on a hill facing down and take my foot off the brake and creep backwards at the slowest of speeds without ever moving forward. With my Massey, as soon as you remove your foot from the brake the tractor begins to roll forward down the hill. I've tried pushing down on the reverse pedal before I let my foot off the brake but there must be an interlock which does not allow the transmission to engage if the brake is on. While the delay is only a second or 2, you can roll forward almost half a foot before the reverse kicks in, which is not a comfortable feeling.

/ Massey hydro HST pedals
Hi thclimer,

Thanks so much for the response and your opinion between the two. I really haven't used a rocker pedal for extended periods of time. Most of my experience is on a Case IH DX35 with twin pedals (bigger cousin to the TC33D) or a Deere CUT. Gotta say, I love those Shibaura-built NH and CIH compacts. That momentary free-rolling issue on the Massey gives some cause for concern.

/ Massey hydro HST pedals #4  
Third, and while I am guessing this not as much a pedal issue, but more in the design of the hydrostatic system. On my New Holland I can be on a hill facing down and take my foot off the brake and creep backwards at the slowest of speeds without ever moving forward. With my Massey, as soon as you remove your foot from the brake the tractor begins to roll forward down the hill. I've tried pushing down on the reverse pedal before I let my foot off the brake but there must be an interlock which does not allow the transmission to engage if the brake is on. While the delay is only a second or 2, you can roll forward almost half a foot before the reverse kicks in, which is not a comfortable feeling.

Have you tried this at a higher engine, say 2,000 RPM? While I don't recall having the problem you experienced, I usually have my engine RPM around 1.8~2K when I'm using the tractor. HST pedal response is much higher, on my 1529, when the pump is operating faster.

/ Massey hydro HST pedals #5  
The side-by-side HST pedals on my 1652 are mounted thru the floor... For the new series (17xx) they moved them, suspended like you describe.

I'm really happy with the location and operation of pedals. On the 16xx series, the pedals are mechanically linked to the throttle body, so pedal travel adjusts RPM's to match the desired travel speed. This feature is also present on the 17xx series, however it is now "electronically" not mechanically connected. On my 16xx series, the HST pedals are directly connected to the HST valving. With the 17xx series, again this connection is electronic, based on a throttle position sensor.

I like the simplicity and reliability of the older system, though, with the newer electronic system, you can adjust the sensitivity of the HST pedal response. Pros and cons.

I would say there is a little bit of "creep" if I'm on a slope and I leave the pedals in the middle (neutral) position... But it hasn't bothered me in 1200 hrs of operation of my 16xx units. That's what the brake is for, properly positioned on there left side.

/ Massey hydro HST pedals #6  
I can't speak for the new Masseys, and I haven't seen one, but on my twin pedal Kioti it is impossible to press both pedals at one time as they are really one in the same pedal. In other words if you press down on the forward pedal the reverse pedal comes up from the floor, and if you press the reverse pedal the forward pedal comes up from the floor. If you press both pedals, you cannot move either pedal. It is solidly locked together and you stay in neutral.

/ Massey hydro HST pedals #8  
I would say there is a little bit of "creep" if I'm on a slope and I leave the pedals in the middle (neutral) position... But it hasn't bothered me in 1200 hrs of operation of my 16xx units. That's what the brake is for, properly positioned on there left side.

OH HOW I WISH MY 1736 was like your 1652!

Yesterday, I gave it another try, here are my observations:

On the 1736 the brake must be electrically interlocked with the both the forward and reverse hydro pedals. While traveling in either forward or reverse if you gently feather the brake pedal the hydrostatic transmission will be disengaged, once you feel it disengage if you remove your foot from the brake pedal but have kept your foot on either forward or reverse pedal there will be a slight delay and then the hydrostatic drive will kick back in.

This same principal holds true if you are stopped and try to start going forward or reverse and if you are on a hill you will drift downhill before you can get going up hill. With my 1736 it is impossible to not drift, I tried it many times adjusting the engine throttle and the hydrostatic speed control with the same drift issue.

As a matter of fact, after yesterdays further experiments, I wish I had not bought my Massey 1736. It is clearly a game changer for me. I can only assume this is a design by Massey to prevent the brake from being left on while parked and then trying to drive either forward or reverse. However, they clearly did not think about being stopped on a slope and the need to start back up. I can only believe if you have a loaded wagon behind you in this situation it is going to be worse than what I tried yesterday.

/ Massey hydro HST pedals #9  
I didn't realize the brakes were electronically connected to the travel system on the 17xx units.

Yes it's true, on mine I can hold the brake pedal and also use the travel pedals to make tiny travel adjustments.

Check with your dealer... They may be able to flash a software update to fix the issue.

/ Massey hydro HST pedals #10  
For the record, I have a 1754 HST that I've been working out some issues with over the last 3 months. One was a bad switch for the hydro pedals. Sitting on level ground, tractor in gear, sitting still, not touching the hydro pedals. Tractor would go into reverse at around 1/2 MPH intermittently. This became dangerous when backing into my building because it was hard to kick off reverse and when I would step on the brake it would not disengage the transmission immediately. The hydro pedal issue was fixed with a replacement hydro pedal switch. There are computer settings for your hydro pedals. My dealer's tech plugged his computer in and adjusted the pedals. As TSO said, it might be worth checking with your dealer to see if there is any computer adjustment to the brake. On my tractor, the hydro pedals with the bad switch weren't returning the same values to the computer for reset to neutral.

I have a lot of hills, dales and trails on my property. I have experienced this. If sitting at the top of a hill, tractor in gear, foot off brake, hydro pedals in neutral, tractor will roll down the hill slowly. Now, if I am on the hill, tractor facing down hill, tractor in gear, foot on brake, I do get a slight roll forward before tractor transmission takes over when stepping on reverse hydro pedal. However, it isn't much, maybe an 1/8 of a turn of the front tire. As a note, with my previous powershuttle tractors, I would also get some roll. Same situation, tractor on hill, foot on brake, release brake and move shuttle shifter. Tractor would roll a little before transmission took over.

Hope this information helps.