Tires Ag tires versus ST trailer tires

/ Ag tires versus ST trailer tires #1  

kenvb

Tractor
MF 205-4
this little 205-4 doesnt have power steering.so its a bear to turn,if bucket is full,its a real bear. was thinking maybe some same diameter 8 ply trailer tires might help it steer better..what do you think ? i have 50 lbs air in them now. frt end all greased?

Attachments

• IMG_00641.jpg
    IMG_00641.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 133
   / Ag tires versus ST trailer tires #2  
I don't believe it would make much difference.We used to have 8N and 9N's with loaders and no power steering.They had ribbed tires on the front.Also your tractor looks like it's 4WD,are you willing to give up traction?
Have you looked at adding power steering?

/ Ag tires versus ST trailer tires #3  
Welcome to TBN...............

Whether you have power steering or not, ant tractor doing loader work will be easier to steer by adding rear ballast on the 3 pt. I'm not sure what your 3 pt can lift. Hanging a box blade, rear blade, rake, or whatever other implement you may have on back will take weight off the front.

/ Ag tires versus ST trailer tires
nybirdman. i would love to put PS on it. i did that to a Old Fordson Major i had.used a ram from old Ford car,tied into the hydraulics of the tractor..worked good. but after my shop and all tools burnt down 3 yrs ago. i Have not much to build with.with live with it. i do have a rear blade too. but its a 6 fter and not very heavy.

/ Ag tires versus ST trailer tires #5  
Its pretty easy to build a 3 pt weight using a 55 gallon barrel filled with sand, stone, cement etc. for a minimal cost. That would give you on average 700-900 lbs of rear ballast. Many threads here on how to build one.

ya,i have seen those. but use the 3 pt blade more than the loader bucket. we live in town now.so dont have the room of the farm for turning around. will add some railroad track to the 3 pt frame work.i have a few pieces of track .

/ Ag tires versus ST trailer tires #7  
In-town Ken, you may have enough hard-surface parking available that this won't matter..... I had to learn the hard way that many street tires don't do well (die early) when continuously parked on dirt.

If dirt is an issue, then that would have me leaning towards Ag tires, in the hope they would survive longer than STs.

Rgds, D.

/ Ag tires versus ST trailer tires #8  
Dunno about steering but my neighbor says trailer tires stand up far longer than ag tires when the front loader or front forks is the primary use of the tractor.

will find some frt rims and try the ST tires. i have a tire machine,.so dont have to pay the overpriced tire shops $45 each to swap tires.

/ Ag tires versus ST trailer tires #10  
Dunno about steering but my neighbor says trailer tires stand up far longer than ag tires when the front loader or front forks is the primary use of the tractor.

Hope they last longer on tractor than they do on trailers. Lots of people have problems with ST tires on trailers.