Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts

/ Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #1  

Karondm

Tractor
MF GC2300
As a new ( to me) Massey SCUT owner, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts and especially experience comparing storage ??
Outdoors without cover is Certainly not going to happen.

Thanks to all.

/ Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #2  
In long term, outside storage, rodents are a danger to your tractor's wiring. Replacing a wiring harness is expensive in material and in time. Condensation in the fuel is another issue. Inside stored tractors command higher resale prices than outside stored tractors for good reason.

Kubota tractor is stored in my humidity-controlled garage, next to my Kubota RTV500 utility vehicle. ((When I owned a PTO powered chipper it was always garage stored too.))

The Ford Fusion and Subaru Forester live in the driveway.

I store implements under old style, impregnated, 18 ounce canvas tarps which I buy on eBay from Chicago Canvas. Heavy weight canvas tarpaulins do not require bungee cords to remain in place, even during hurricanes. (( I am 25 miles inland from the Gulf Coast. )) Canvas tarps keep implements dry and sap free, while allowing water vapor to evaporate. Unfortunately the tarps deteriorate in humid Florida climate. I have to replace tarps on a four year cycle.

Last edited:
   / Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #3  
Over the years, we've had tractors and equipment in every conceivable environment: garage, barn, overhang roof, tarp, open to the elements.

Obviously, garaged is best (with a barn being pretty close to that). At a minimum, we try to keep our tractors under a roof so rain, snow, and direct sunlight are kept off of them.

/ Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #4  
My experience, leads me toward shed. Last winter, after restoring the Ford NAA, I put it in the barn. When I visited it, it was hanging with moisture. So, I moved it to the shed, so some air could get to it. ??

/ Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #5  
I'm a covered storage guy.
20160423_113119.jpg

/ Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #6  
When I built my garage, I had an extension on the pad added so I could make a lean-to on the side. Eventually threw up some "temporary" plywood and then some plastic above that. Makes for a good spot for the tractor, and keeps it ready to fire up and begin immediately with the snowblower in the winter. (Also access to electrical outlet for block heater & transmission heater when necessary.)

Had a problem with mice once or twice, but check it often and throw in a Bounce dryer sheet periodically. Covered outdoor storage works well for me.

porch, after.JPGtractor sleeping 12:08.JPG

/ Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #7  
I've always kept my tractors in a carport. Its obviously not heated but it keeps the weather and sun off the tractor. Sunshine( UV ) is death to tires.

Not all are as fortunate as Cat fever. That barn/storage bldg looks big enough to have its own zip code.

Mice - UGG - I've tried almost everything - dryer sheets, moth balls, peppermint oil & all form of poisons. I've found the very best, long term, solution to be well cared for barn cats. They will kill anything they can catch - mice, pocket gophers, quail, dickey birds, snakes and will eat some of this stuff. The only problem with cats is - owls, hawks & coyotes. I'm right now working on getting a sack full of cats from a guy that hunts here. My last cat went by the wayside a couple years ago.

/ Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #8  
If you do not have the high winds like the Midwest has you might consider a Hoop House until you can do better. The way I got permission and funding from my wife for my tractor dog house was to let her catch me measuring the patio door and the tractor and then said I just got a idea. Building a Hoop House - YouTube

/ Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #9  
Rocky - - that's just plain mean - but very imaginative. I use to bring the Harley in the house until I built the "Harley house". Its a built-on-site shed by Tuff Shed.

/ Under cover (shed / barn / garage) vs tarp - any thoughts #10  
3 car garage here. Keep mine in the garage. We have a pole barn but i store implements in that and other odds and ends. It really comes down to budget. Something is better than nothing. If i didn't have a pole barn or my garage. i would NOT use tarps as I would think that would be very inviting to rodents. Cheap carport or build a small shed yourself. If i didn't have a 3 car garage then i would be parking it in my pole barn but i would have plenty of traps for critters.