GC cold weather start ??

/ GC cold weather start ?? #11  
My tractor starts fine also, not much differents in my engine an the gc series.

/ GC cold weather start ?? #12  
No power: when running make sure battery is fully charged before shutting it off. Experiment with starting throttle settings.

/ GC cold weather start ?? #13  
My 1705 or any tractor really will start in cold weather, the reason I use the antigel, battery tender and block heater is the tractor starts like it's 80F outside and not 0F, to me not keeping the battery at peak performance and not heating the block in cold weather is just putting undo stress on the components of the tractor..

/ GC cold weather start ?? #14  
My 1705 or any tractor really will start in cold weather, the reason I use the antigel, battery tender and block heater is the tractor starts like it's 80F outside and not 0F, to me not keeping the battery at peak performance and not heating the block in cold weather is just putting undo stress on the components of the tractor..

You can argue that not having a block heater is bad for the engine.

You can also argue that, not preheating the hydraulic oil, puts undo stress on pump. Which I think, may be more critical.

What about an engine pre-oiler? Some will strongly argue, you should never start an engine without one, even in the summer.

Then, there is the cold starting of the engine in our vehicles. How many have block heaters on those?

There are arguments for all of these.

/ GC cold weather start ?? #15  
You can argue that not having a block heater is bad for the engine.

You can also argue that, not preheating the hydraulic oil, puts undo stress on pump. Which I think, may be more critical.

What about an engine pre-oiler? Some will strongly argue, you should never start an engine without one, even in the summer.

Then, there is the cold starting of the engine in our vehicles. How many have block heaters on those?

There are arguments for all of these.

I'm not arguing at all and I agree with you, my point is if you can make it easier on a machine in the cold without to much trouble, why not make it easier..

/ GC cold weather start ?? #16  
Thanks for the advice so far. I'll definitely try giving it less fuel next go around.

A couple suggestions from another WI owner. My GC1715 starts easier when I switched to synthetic oil. I set my throttle just barelyabove idle because I'd rather have a failed start on1st attempt than a faster rpm start. I also leave the glow plug on more than 30 seconds when the temp is below 20 f which it certainly has been in WI this winter many times already.

If I can I plug in the block heater but either way I let it warm up at 1500 rpm then I increase rpm to 1800 or 2000while I sit still and move gel and 3 point up and down for 5 minutes.

/ GC cold weather start ?? #17  
I'm not arguing at all and I agree with you, my point is if you can make it easier on a machine in the cold without to much trouble, why not make it easier..

Sorry you misunderstood my intent.

I was not looking for a fight, just debating the reality of it all.

There are lots of things you can do, everyone has to choose how far they want to go.

/ GC cold weather start ?? #18  
Sorry you misunderstood my intent.

I was not looking for a fight, just debating the reality of it all.

There are lots of things you can do, everyone has to choose how far they want to go.

Agreed..

/ GC cold weather start ?? #19  
I remember seeing in another earlier post on cold weather starting that someone turned the key on for a few seconds before running the glow plugs. I think that was to move fuel into the injector pump. I think that was for GC2300, GC2400, or GC2600.
I didn't see that post before trying to start my GC2300 a few days ago, when it was close to 0 F.
I didn't run the block heater but ran glow plugs for 20 seconds.
It started after 3 tries with glow plugs on for 20 seconds before each try.

/ GC cold weather start ?? #20  
I remember seeing in another earlier post on cold weather starting that someone turned the key on for a few seconds before running the glow plugs. I think that was to move fuel into the injector pump. I think that was for GC2300, GC2400, or GC2600.
I didn't see that post before trying to start my GC2300 a few days ago, when it was close to 0 F.
I didn't run the block heater but ran glow plugs for 20 seconds.
It started after 3 tries with glow plugs on for 20 seconds before each try.

How much throttle?