1529 tire chains

/ 1529 tire chains #1  

arizona98tj

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1529
Was wondering if anyone is running tire chains on their MF 1529 rear tires?

I'm getting ready to purchase a set and decided to check to see if anyone is running them and if there were any issues. It doesn't look like I should have a clearance problem.

I was going to pick up a set of 2 link ladder chains from TireChain.com.

Thanks for any input.

/ 1529 tire chains
With the front end loader on mine, it is light in the back and when I'm on snow with the slightest incline, it will spin the rear tires way too easily when in 2WD. I literally can't stop on my driveway's highway approach and then start again without being in 4WD. It does fine in the non-snow months for pulling wood from the forest. I suppose I could add fluid to the rear tires but I'm not too excited about doing that.

/ 1529 tire chains #4  
I think a ballast box during winter months would serve you well. Weight is traction, but chains no doubt help.

Can you do both?

/ 1529 tire chains #5  
With the front end loader on mine, it is light in the back and when I'm on snow with the slightest incline, it will spin the rear tires way too easily when in 2WD. I literally can't stop on my driveway's highway approach and then start again without being in 4WD. It does fine in the non-snow months for pulling wood from the forest. I suppose I could add fluid to the rear tires but I'm not too excited about doing that.

That make sense. I have my rears loaded with Rimguard and that is probably why I get better traction. You should consider just keeping it in 4wd when in snow. Also as you found out you don't have any brakes in 2wd if your rear tires get light. If you stay in 4wd you will have front brakes and be able to stop on the hills. Plus you won't spin the tires as much. I'd rethink loading the tires or get a weight box.

/ 1529 tire chains #6  
I just installed a set of 9mm Studded chains this week on my MF1528 and I sure like them. I also have about 500lbs of weight on the back. I see you are from Bemidji I grew up there. I now live on the range for the past 35 years.

/ 1529 tire chains #7  
Was wondering if anyone is running tire chains on their MF 1529 rear tires?

I'm getting ready to purchase a set and decided to check to see if anyone is running them and if there were any issues. It doesn't look like I should have a clearance problem.

I was going to pick up a set of 2 link ladder chains from TireChain.com.

Thanks for any input.

I've been running double ring chains on the rears of my 1433 for 10 years now. Clearance was tight and if the chains weren't cinched up good, they would rub on the roll bar or the arms of the 3 pth. Lived with it for a couple of years until I decided to get 2" spacers for the rear wheels. That resolved the tight clearance and also made it easier to get the chains on and off to boot! FWIW, the chains definitely are a plus for traction when working on ice and snow.

/ 1529 tire chains
That make sense. I have my rears loaded with Rimguard and that is probably why I get better traction. You should consider just keeping it in 4wd when in snow. Also as you found out you don't have any brakes in 2wd if your rear tires get light. If you stay in 4wd you will have front brakes and be able to stop on the hills. Plus you won't spin the tires as much. I'd rethink loading the tires or get a weight box.

I understand how 4WD assists with both traction and braking. For 15 years, I wheeled a Jeep TJ in some of the best rock washes the Southwest had to offer.....even did it professionally for a while. That being said, I didn't run chains on the Jeep. LOL! I occasionally venture out onto the county highway in front of our house so I can move some snow in my neighbors yard (he tore up his ankle and has to use a walker for a few months). I've no desire to travel in 4WD on the highway so switching back and forth between 2WD and 4WD is required.

I would just as soon not put a weight box on the tractor as it would create a space issue where I park the tractor in the garage. I've no desire to mount and dismount it every time I take the tractor out of the garage in the winter.

I thought about fluid. The only reason I've not gone that route is that if I hole a tire in the woods (in the summer, the tractor sees a fair amount of time bringing home firewood), it becomes an issue with replacing the fluid, which is not cheap.

I think I'm pretty much set on running chains.

Here is a pic of me and my Jeep climbing a rock waterfall out in Arizona where I was living for a bit before moving back to Minnesota.

stus-tj-5.jpg

/ 1529 tire chains
I just installed a set of 9mm Studded chains this week on my MF1528 and I sure like them. I also have about 500lbs of weight on the back. I see you are from Bemidji I grew up there. I now live on the range for the past 35 years.

I grew up as a farm kid. About the only time I wasn't running a tractor every day was when the rain was pouring down. We had some grain crops but mostly it was baling hay (didn't do round bales) for wintering over the cattle. Twice a day on the tractor in the winter to feed all those bales to the cattle.

I recently retired and built a new house on 80 acres outside of Bemidji, which is my home stomping grounds. This little MF 1529 is the first new tractor I've had. Only took me 60 years to get a new tractor. LOL!

/ 1529 tire chains #10  
Arizona that's an impressive climb with that jeep. Have you had any issues with the rear end coming up when lifting with the bucket? I know the 1529 is heavy for its size so I'm just curious how well it does with no ballast.