MF 1754 HST Transmission Suction Filter

/ MF 1754 HST Transmission Suction Filter #1  

onionfmr

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1754 Cab Hydro
Looking for someone that has actually done their own hydraulic fluid service. Trying to remove suction filter #52 in the attached picture. Can't get it to clear the lower brace. Looks like the flange #50 has to be removed to get the suction filter to clear? Selling dealer doesn't know, never serviced a MF 1754. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG950066.jpg
    IMG950066.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 576
   / MF 1754 HST Transmission Suction Filter
Ok, 117 views and no reply? Looks like I'm the only MF 1754 HST owner on this forum that does their own maintenance? I'm guessing MF 1758 and MF 1759 hydro tractors would be the same? Apparently, dealers don't work on MF 1754's either! I've called several MF dealers and they can't even find the referenced suction/screened filter. I've actually located the filter and pulled it out as far as possible w/o removing it because of interference with a frame member. Other tractors that I've owned actually had a slot cut in the frame member to remove the filter. I cleaned it as best I could and then screwed it back in. Normally, I would not be that worried about it but, I do occasionally still have intermittent hydraulic issues. When I drained the hydraulic oil and replaced the other filters, at 35 hours, my hydraulic issues significantly decreased. I'm guessing that there still may be containments in the inside of the suction filter. As a note, I would normally just pull the flange but it seems to be installed with sealant (painted excess sealant around the flange) and just looks like an area for potential leaks.

I've been running Massey tractors for over 17 years. If this MF 1754 didn't have great potential to do what I need to do, it would be on it's way out the door due to all the issues and time I've wasted on it getting things sorted out.

/ MF 1754 HST Transmission Suction Filter #3  
Does the filter come apart from the exterior cap? My 1648 & 1652 had a slightly different setup, with two metal mesh filters. On mine, the filter itself "fit" onto the housing ends, and could be removed.

TSO - really appreciate your replies. Yes, the filter does come apart from the end cap. However, even then it won't clear the support strut. It is not a standard pleated filter. It is a screw-in type metal strainer filter. The couple of dealers that I've talked to about the filter called it a metal suction filter. It is really amazing working with dealers in my area. When getting ready to do the service, via the phone, I had three different dealers give me three distinctly different sets of filters and numbers for the service. I finally found a dealer that knows their stuff. Problem is, they are not anywhere near me and I try not to bother them, if I really don't have to, as not to wear out my welcome. That was why I posted the question here first before calling them.

TSO - I've read thru the posts on your attached link and someone mentioned that on their MF 1734E they removed the support strut to remove a filter. I remember thinking when I was servicing the tractor that removing the strut could be an option. Just didn't seem like that was smart engineering/design and I really didn't look that closely at how it was attached. I was in a real hurry to get the service done because if hydraulics didn't improve after filter and hydraulic oil change (I had my doubts), tractor was being picked up and removed from our property for repair. Also, timing was bad as we were in the middle of winter prep on the property which is when we really need the tractor. If the strut has to be removed to get that filter, I may just notch the strut like on my other tractors, to facilitate filter removal.

Thanks

/ MF 1754 HST Transmission Suction Filter #6  
Can you post a picture of the set up. It's hard to believe they didn't make it serviceable. That's not like iseki...

/ MF 1754 HST Transmission Suction Filter #7  
The strut is part of the loader, Iseki built the tractor, I'm not sure who builds the loaders for MF. I believe the strut has two bolts are each end. Not too big a deal, just a moderate PIA.

The strut is part of the loader, Iseki built the tractor, I'm not sure who builds the loaders for MF. I believe the strut has two bolts are each end. Not too big a deal, just a moderate PIA.

Appreciate the replies. I realize the strut is part of the loader frame. Just seemed like a really poor design/planning to have to remove part of the loader frame to get to a filter. I've owned several tractors over the years and all others had a cutout in the strut/frame to make filter removal possible like in the attached picture. Since this tractor didn't, I thought there must be an easier way that wasn't obvious, at least to me. I did finally get confirmation from a dealer, after talking to several, that the strut has to be removed to service the filter. I agree, a moderate PITA.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150919_143912.png
    ForumRunner_20150919_143912.png
    353.4 KB · Views: 745
   / MF 1754 HST Transmission Suction Filter #9  
I just serviced my 1643 this fall and the hydro transmission was quite difficult to service.

A. The spin-on filter by the transmission fit too tightly to the transmission housing or loader structure (I can't remember) to get off or put a new one on. Somehow I got the original one off and then had to add a washer in between the piece the filter spins on to and the transmission (loader structure?). This gave an extra millimeter or two of space to spin the filter off and on. I'm not sure how they spun that filter on at the factory, given how tight it was to the tractor.

B. The two filter screens near the rear-end were major pains in the *** to get out and inspect. They are designed to be perpendicular to each other and connected by a 90 degree rubber elbow. However, the elbow is so short, that you can't really get it off the end of either screen housing. Major pain right there. I finally did get it off and inspect the screens, but I'm not looking forward to it again, no matter how rarely it has to be done.

/ MF 1754 HST Transmission Suction Filter #10  
LOL it gets easier. The trick is to crease the 90 deg hose at the inner elbow and take it off both filter ends at the same time. I think the first time is the hardest.

However, I did not experience any difficulties at all with my spin on hydro filter. I wonder if your loader bracket fits more tightly than mine, being that you have the smaller DL120 instead of the 130 loader like mine. On my 1648 & 52 that filter is relatively easy to access.