Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ?

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #1  

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
MF 2660 LP, 3 Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.
I have posed this question or similar ones before. It remains a puzzle to me. If you scan through all the "MF Owning and Operating" threads not 5%, I'd even say 1%, relate to tractors over 60 hp and of those at least half are older than 10 year old machines. That's OK but don't the people who spent (what to many of us is one heck of a lot of money) on 60 to 110 or more HP tractors ever have issues, problems, questions, tales to tell, things to brag about, monsters conquered, and bull to shoot ? Do so many of the larger machine owners have hired mechanics that they don't want to get greasy like the rest of us ?

The average hp rating of the machines being discussed here is about 25.8hp (not that I know, but it seems about that.)

Is there some other website instead of TractorByNet that caters to the bigger guys ? Do most of them migrate to brand-specific forums like some Orange guys do for Kubota ? Surely someone out there knows the explanation.

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #2  
I always figured they were too busy driving their tractors. Those things are too expensive to have sitting around.

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #3  
This site is geared toward homeowners with small property and small tractors, many which live in the garage and are not even broke in. Obviously there are exceptions but that's what I see for the most part. some of the threads make it obvious that many have never been off city water, or dealt with coyotes, or septic systems. There was one last week where someone said they lived in a "Rural" area with 1 acre lots in the neighborhood.

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ?
This site is geared toward homeowners with small property and small tractors, many which live in the garage and are not even broke in. Obviously there are exceptions but that's what I see for the most part. some of the threads make it obvious that many have never been off city water, or dealt with coyotes, or septic systems. There was one last week where someone said they lived in a "Rural" area with 1 acre lots in the neighborhood.

You know, I think you may be onto the right theory...

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #5  
I always figured they were too busy driving their tractors. Those things are too expensive to have sitting around.

That would be my guess too. When I was a kid and working the family farm, 12 to 18 hour days was the norm for non-snow months and somewhat less than that when it was butt cold outside. After a hot dusty day putting up 800 small bales, the last thing on one's mind would be logging into a forum to help someone find their hydraulic filter or discuss cold-weather starting a 3 cylinder diesel. I'm retired now, bought a new 1529 tractor last spring, and have the time to do some forum hopping. Oh yeah, and I don't bale hay anymore either. ;)

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #6  
The reason I come here is mainly for when I run into some kind of mechanical issue that I haven't had experience with. Fortunately, there are a few very knowledgeable Ford tractor mechanics on here that have saved me from using the dreaded trial and error method. Farming is a hobby for me. I enjoy fixing equipment as much as farming itself (unless hay is down and rain is coming). I don't imagine too many "real" farmers have the time or the resources to repair the behemoth equipment needed to run a profitable farming operation these days.

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #7  
tbn.jpg

Bruce

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #8  

Exactly!

This is a compact tractor focused website, hence the compact tractor owners. ;)

As I recall, TBN started out as a Kubota focused website. That was before 2001 when I joined. By then, it was all inclusive of any brand, and they kept adding more specific forums as more folks joined with different machines.

/ Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ?
   / Why do the LARGER TRACTOR owners not participate here ? #10  
That's exactly it. In the winter when I have a little spare time I flip through this site once every week or two but there is rarely anything that interests me as a farmer. Spend most time on a farming forum.