MF1533 - remove the A/C compressor to remove gas tank and heat shield?

/ MF1533 - remove the A/C compressor to remove gas tank and heat shield? #1  

EdGooding

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Massey-Ferguson MF-1533, 1973 Ford 3000, 1952 Ford 8N
Happy New Year, folks. I need to remove the gas tank and heat shield on my MF1533 with cab and A/C - Heat. I've got the tank drained, fuel/return lines disconnected, muffler removed and tank/heat shield are loose and ready to come out. It looks like the A/C compressor is interfering with the removal of the tank and heat shield and needs to be unbolted and moved forward, but I wanted confirmation on this before I messed with it, or tried to force the heat shield by it. Anyone traveled this path? Can you confirm and is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.........Ed

/ MF1533 - remove the A/C compressor to remove gas tank and heat shield?
And the answer is......most definitely YES. The upper radiator hose has to come out so you can get to the two lower bolts for the A/C compressor. Have a pan under the tractor to catch the coolant that will leak. (3) 12mm mounting bolts hold the compressor and two A/C hose bracket nuts need to be removed (10mm). You can lay the compressor on the right-front tire to get it out of your way. You also have to remove the steel bracket that the A/C compressor sits on. No way the tank and heat shield are coming out if you don't. If you have a cab, pulling the gas tank forward and up is like trying to wrestle a bag of crack out of a crackhead's hands. I'm a big dude, but I really had to wrestle it forward and up but it came out. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

/ MF1533 - remove the A/C compressor to remove gas tank and heat shield? #3  
Sorry I didn't get in here in time (missed your post yesterday) to mention do not disconnect the freon lines if at all possible. If you must then the freon should reclaimed then the system recharged when put back together. I guess you already knew that since you were able to lay the compressor on the tire.
Glad you got yours figured out.

/ MF1533 - remove the A/C compressor to remove gas tank and heat shield? #4  
Happy New Year, folks. I need to remove the gas tank and heat shield on my MF1533 with cab and A/C - Heat.

Can I ask why you needed to remove the gas tank? I've got a 1529 and am always interested in info regarding the 1500 series.