Snow GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower

/ GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower #1  

truenorth

Folks, I've had this combination for more than six years now, and it's time the truth was told.

I'm happy with the tractor but pretty disappointed with the snowblower. Let's look at what I'm up against. I'm on the east side of one of the great lakes and we get a lot of lake effect snow. The dry air blows across the lake, picks up moisture and dumps it on shore. It can snow a foot an hour here, and we end up with snow piles that can be ten feet deep. Check this, you southerners. Any idea how miserable this is? It's zero F in the picture.

DSC_0634.jpg

To combat this kind of stuff, I bought the MF2360 snowblower and tire chains. Here's a picture of my snow weapon this fall:

DSC_0543.jpg

But here's my experience. This snowblower is way too fragile for what I'm up against. The augers are protected with two shear pins and the fan with one. Every single time I used this in snow I've broken one of the shear pins. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Mostly the fan pin but sometimes the auger pins too. When that happens, I have to dig the snow out, drive the broken pins out, align the holes and get a new one in. At zero F sometimes. I'm buying these pins by the bag full.

I would have thought that this tractor and a $4000 snowblower would be a bit more robust. I thought that I could almost stall the tractor with the blower, but that's not the case. If you have one of these, and you see the RPMs being dragged down even a tiny bit, ease off or you will be replacing pins.

This weekend something more severe happened. It seems the chain gear reduction sprocket is fastened to the drive shaft with a key and some set screws. The key has fallen out and the sprocket in the picture just spins on the drive shaft. Not sure what to do next. Anybody ever taken this apart.? I'm hours and hours from the nearest "dealer".

DSC_0556.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0634.jpg
    DSC_0634.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 223
   / GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower #2  
Just go to the local part store and get some woodruff keys. They come in an assortment kit so you can find the one that fits. Should be an easy fix.

If I was breaking that many shear pins, I would put a slip clutch on the PTO. Then adjust up the harness of the pin from there. I get MF is protecting the drive train, but it's not weak, especially with a chassis cradle for the backhoe.

/ GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower #3  
Correct, the keys are simple, and you shouldn't even need to take it apart. Just line up the cuts and slide the new one in. Don't forget a new set screw.
MF is probably protecting the gearbox on the blower, but those pins shouldn't shear that easy. Try contacting them and see what they say.

/ GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower #4  
Sounds like the shear pin bolts are pretty weak. What grade are they? If they are not being shock loaded, they shouldn't break like that.

/ GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower
The shear bolts are grade eight on the fan and grade five on the auger sections. I'm not hitting rocks or even much ice, but they break continually.

These blowers are manufactured by Rad Technologies in Quebec, Canada. Close to Vermont and Maine. RadTechnologies > Home They paint these things orange for Kubota, exactly the same units. I'm going to ask them about what I'm experiencing. Our mostly useless MF dealers don't know much about these blowers, so I'm on my own. The beavers, coyotes and bears up here don't sell keys, so I'm going to make a trip to a MF dealer to see what they have to say.

I'm an engineer and the fragility of this setup is completely unexpected.

/ GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower #6  
Somethings definitely amiss. Hope you find the problem. Let us know what you find out.

/ GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower #7  
You're breaking grade 8 shear bolts?? Something is very wrong there.
Is the chain tight? If it's chucking back and forth a lot it will break bolts.

/ GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower #8  
Haven't had much snow here in CT since I got my GC1720 with blower just over a year ago, but I have yet to break a shear pin..and it ate a newspaper (small local paper) in the last storm. So I would at least have a conversation with the dealer or get some additional opinions on the forums, there could be something wrong.

Your only real option would be to move to a rear blower. Just looking at the specs, a similarly sized rear blower is 1.5-2x the weight on the front blower. This is something I knew going into the purchase...but I don't live in your area! Not a guarantee of robustness, but it is an indication. Any neighbors use one? Ask around to see how its working out for them.

As far as replacing the missing key, looks like part #4263534M1, can be had a jacks small engines for less than $5, shipping probably costs more. Could also ask the dealer to order/mail one to you. Verify the part number yourself first though!2360 blower.JPG

Or you could order some, or even some key stock, its 1/4x 1/4 x 1. Can buy a bar from an online supplier and cut to length yourself.

Also, how is your steering with the backhoe on? I left mine on for the first few storms, and there was so much weight on the rear I had trouble pointing the tractor where I wanted it to go! I went up over a curb and the front end bounced off the ground! I switched to my ballast box this year with ~400 lbs, and it has a much nicer balance.

/ GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower #9  
Where do you have your skid shoes set? I live SE of Lake Ontario and this is my first year with that snow blower and the first time out I busted 3 auger shear pins, but the 2nd time I used the blower I dropped the shoes as far down as they can go and I have not had an issue with pins busting since then. Few weeks ago we received about 20 inches of LES and didn't have one shear pin blow out. Just a thought.

/ GC2410 TLB / MF2360 Snowblower #10  
I would bet a 6 pack you are over tightening the shear bolts.