3PH finishing mower or belly mower?

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower? #1  

Mattsy Fergy

Silver Member
Tractor
GC1705
Just checking my options, which is preferable?
Finish mower is less expensive, reducing my overall costs.
The belly mower is suspended from the tractor, where the finish mower rides on the ground, possibly a better cut?
I realize the finish mower will swing out on turns, making corners a problem, and storage in my garage.
I'm seeing used tractors at decent prices, but many times they have no mower or no loader, and I want both. Loaders are harder to find.
Opinions?

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower? #2  
I would go with a belly mower if that option is available and purchase one that is a little wider than the tractor, that way you get closer to things and just look down at the mower instead of have to look back at the finish mower. Also you are not running over the grass, with the rear tires before cutting.

A belly mower is not available for my tractor, so I have a pull behind finish mower. It does a great job. I keep the sway chains on the tight side, so it goes were the tractor goes. I elected to get one that is just as wide as the tractor, so that if the tractor can make it through the mower will as well. Reduces greatly how much I have to look back. I rarely stop and back up with it, if I miss a spot or a turn is to tight I just go around in a circle. To me this is a lot faster and less stress on the mower, tractor and me.

If you get a FEL I recommend MFWD. I have not looked at the GC1790, but you may want to consider get a tractor with a HST transmission.

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower? #3  
Biggest advantage to having a pull type finish mower is that it will work on tractor with the correct 3PH & PTO. Belly mower only fits a very limited model of tractors. With limited obstacles I would consider a pull type finish mower. For my obstacle course the belly mower was the only practical option.

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower? #4  
All depends on what you use your tractor for. Will you be taking it on and off a lot? Woods work? Moving dirt? Ext? I have a 72in Woods finish mower and love it. Maneuver it like you would a bush hog. Also, a MMM could sometimes be very difficult to take on and off. Those things can get pretty heavy. So it really depends on how much you cut and what you do with your tractor.

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower? #5  
As said, belly mower is usually tractor specific. If you later want to upgrade the tractor you have to get another belly mower. With a 3 pt finish you can keep and reuse if you upgrade. If set up properly a rear finish mower is just as good as a belly mower. IMO I think the 3pt. would be easier to hook up.

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower? #6  
For me, the MMM is the way to go. I maintain a 1.5 acre suburban lot with lots of planting beds and other obstacles. For maneuverability alone, the MMM is worth it for me. In addition, I have a pto powered collection unit which I use during the spring and fall. Wouldn't be possible if using a 3pt mower. I have the newer 2326 (60") drive over mower, and its pretty easy to take on and off. not as easy as a 3pt would be, but its really not too difficult at all.

If those things are not a big concern, as others have said, the 3pt finish mower will work well and save you a few dollars!

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower?
Lots of good info, thanks.
I have a little over 2 acres, mostly grass, wooded along the edge and one corner.
A MMM would work on most of it, and I hope this will be my last tractor, so not worried about upgrading.
I hadn't considered looking behind me all the time, and with a disc issue in my neck, that is a real problem.
I am getting a FEL, mostly for snow removal, but also some other work in the summer.
I have a slope along a ditch that is dangerous, so I would like a sickle bar for that area, or I may "engineer" a pull behind that I can offset for that, so I don't have to get too close to the edge, and I can use it for getting up close under the evergreens.
The GC1705 that I have my eyes on does have the drive over, that is supposed to be fairly easy to remove.
It looks like the MMM is the best fit for me.
Thank you all for the advice.

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower? #8  
Welcome to TBN. Let us know what you decide, with pictures of course. :)

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower? #9  
Had a MMM on my BX and it seemed like it was never where I needed it. It was on when I needed it off and on when I needed it off. I've got a 72" finish mower on the MX now and I'd never go back, much easier to remove or install, especially on dirt.

/ 3PH finishing mower or belly mower? #10  
Get the MMM for your GC...They are attached to the tractor for transport mode or raised position, while mowing, they follow the ground ( 2 straight wheels, 2 swivels and a front roller).
The cut quality is very good...I have the 60" model, on my 2nd tractor with it and very happy.
As an added advantage, the newer models are drive over compared to mine I have to drag under...a little easier and quicker to mount/dismount.