Thinking of replacing tractor's metal fuel tank with a non metal marine tank

/ Thinking of replacing tractor's metal fuel tank with a non metal marine tank #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
After reading this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/371639-jd1070-diesel-corrosive-why-my.html I think I know why my MF 261 is running so rough and would like to replace the current tank with a smaller one that's easier to keep full and won't rust. I think I can rig a non metal marine tank similar the one at the following link to replace the one that came on the tractor. Attwood 6 Gallon Epa Approved Fuel Tank

Has anyone ever done anything similar? Were there problems? Will a HDPE/EVOH tank stand up to diesel?

/ Thinking of replacing tractor's metal fuel tank with a non metal marine tank #2  
Will a HDPE/EVOH tank stand up to diesel?

Yes. See here for an example.

I mowed my lawn for many years with a Cub Cadet riding mower given to me by a neighbor. Somebody had filled it with a metal can, and rust particles had destroyed the fuel pump. I replaced the filter, lines, and pump and it was fine.

I won't have a metal can on my property, and my one current vehicle that has a metal tank will have it replaced with plastic when (not if) it needs it.

I don't plan to ever have another steel tank. Plastic doesn't rust.

/ Thinking of replacing tractor's metal fuel tank with a non metal marine tank #3  
Yes. See here for an example.

I mowed my lawn for many years with a Cub Cadet riding mower given to me by a neighbor. Somebody had filled it with a metal can, and rust particles had destroyed the fuel pump. I replaced the filter, lines, and pump and it was fine.

I won't have a metal can on my property, and my one current vehicle that has a metal tank will have it replaced with plastic when (not if) it needs it.

I don't plan to ever have another steel tank. Plastic doesn't rust.

No, but they have seam failures.

/ Thinking of replacing tractor's metal fuel tank with a non metal marine tank
Mark and KThompson,
I appreciate your replies. K's comment about the seam failure brings up another question. As near as I can tell, tanks that hold diesel aren't vented unless the cap has a vent similar to that on a radiator cap. Is this correct and is expansion inside the tank what causes the seem failures?

Last edited:
   / Thinking of replacing tractor's metal fuel tank with a non metal marine tank #6  
Yes. See here for an example. I mowed my lawn for many years with a Cub Cadet riding mower given to me by a neighbor. Somebody had filled it with a metal can, and rust particles had destroyed the fuel pump. I replaced the filter, lines, and pump and it was fine. I won't have a metal can on my property, and my one current vehicle that has a metal tank will have it replaced with plastic when (not if) it needs it. I don't plan to ever have another steel tank. Plastic doesn't rust.
But they do melt. This fire would have likely been contained had the plastic tank not dumped onto the fire.

image-282690918.jpg

/ Thinking of replacing tractor's metal fuel tank with a non metal marine tank #7  
Yes, they do melt. Probably a better option than having a seam rupture or worse, exploding, as metal tanks are prone to do.

Last edited:
As I mentioned diesel tanks on vehicles don't seem to be vented. If this is so, why doesn't the fuel flow stop when all the air is gone? I must have overlooked something here.

/ Thinking of replacing tractor's metal fuel tank with a non metal marine tank #9  
As I mentioned diesel tanks on vehicles don't seem to be vented. If this is so, why doesn't the fuel flow stop when all the air is gone? I must have overlooked something here.
They would have to be vented. Otherwise the tank will implode or you won't we able to draw fuel.

They would have to be vented. Otherwise the tank will implode or you won't we able to draw fuel.

That's the way it seems to me too.