Draining Coolant on a GC1705 - getting it all out

/ Draining Coolant on a GC1705 - getting it all out #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
I have a GC1705 and went to drain my coolant today, while installing a block heater. Since I bought the tractor used this summer, and it is a few years old, I figured I would fully drain and flush the system.

The drain pipe seems to really only drain the radiator, and not much of the rest of the cooling system - about 2.5 qts (half the coolant system capacity) Is there an easy way to drain the rest of the coolant? I did note an engine drain plug a couple inches below the frost plugs, but wasn't sure if that was coolant or another chamber.

/ Draining Coolant on a GC1705 - getting it all out #2  
I did note an engine drain plug a couple inches below the frost plugs, but wasn't sure if that was coolant or another chamber.
Yep, that is your block drain and must be opened to drain the water from the block. You should get your other 2+ quarts from that drain.
If the coolant is in any way rusty, you may want to use a coolant system flush to remove any built up gunk from the radiator and block. Follow the directions for the flush and then thoroughly flush out the system with clean water. Open all drains when cleaning out the flushing water and keep the radiator full of clean water for at least 5-10 minutes and then allow to drain. Close all the petcocks and add your required amount of antifreeze for a 50/50 (or higher ratio if lower freeze protection is needed-consult your antifreeze container for the proper mix ratio for your expected low temp). Then add your water and circulate it for several minutes making sure that the thermostat opens so the mixture is circulating thru the block. This may take a while for your engine to reach operating temperature if the outside air is cold.

/ Draining Coolant on a GC1705 - getting it all out
Ok, thanks for the feedback, Gary! Very helpful. Haven't noticed any rust in the coolant, at all.

Does anyone know on this engine, in particular, if there are other drain locations on the block or cooling system, or just the one radiator drain and the one plug below the frost plugs?

/ Draining Coolant on a GC1705 - getting it all out #4  
Those are the only ones I could find when I drained mine, considering the coolant capacity, I put about the same amount back in as my manual said. I did find that hose with the cramp to very useful for emptying to be able to install my block heater.