GC 3 point hitch questions

/ GC 3 point hitch questions #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
I'm new to using a tractor with a 3 point hitch and have a few questions, as it pertains to the GC's (have a GC1705).

1. if I go across a water ditch will the hitch allow the implement (a pine needle rake, in this case) raise up as I go up the ditch?
2. Is it safe to hold the hitch raise/lower in the 'lowering' position, such that the rake will always stay on the ground regardless if the tractor goes slightly up/down?
3. Is there a true 'float' setting for the hitch where it always floats up and down?

Thanks!!

/ GC 3 point hitch questions #2  
You can leave the lever in the down position. It has no down pressure. It will float in that position.

/ GC 3 point hitch questions
Thanks. On my GC1705, it has a spring return to 'neutral' on the lift control. Is there a way to lock the lever down?

/ GC 3 point hitch questions #4  
The GC series uses a quarter-inching valve, which is why it has a return spring. It holds/floats in every position as there is NO downforce, only gravity or lift. If traversing a ditch causes the implement to be lifted by the ground, that will not change the hold position of the 3-point (full down). As you come off the grade, the implement will remain in contact with the ground and not remain up.

/ GC 3 point hitch questions #5  
I purchased a spring loaded lever used on the John Deere 1025r to hold the lever down, $20 and works like a dream.

/ GC 3 point hitch questions #6  
I opened a thread about this very subject, you might want to read it, there is a picture of the lever I speak of, do a search for "how does my three point hitch work", I would just add the link but I am unable to with my phone.

/ GC 3 point hitch questions
Thanks, all