MF 231s...lots of questions

/ MF 231s...lots of questions #1  

def38

Platinum Member
Tractor
M-F 231S
I just got a 2003 231S. Of course, no books came with it. So, let me ask you M-F experts some questions;

1- Where can I get an operators manual for the 231S?
2- Tire pressures? My 231S has no FEL, weighs about 4100 lbs.
3- There is some sort of adjustment near the transmission dip stick. What is it?
4- How many reservoirs are there for lube/hydraulic oils? I assume the following; PS pump, engine, transmission. What else?
5- The draft control is difficult to operate with the engine off. Normal?
6- When I turn the steering wheel, engine off, the front wheels don't move. Normal?

I'll probably have more questions so, please stay tuned.

Thanks for any and all replies.

/ MF 231s...lots of questions #2  
The steering is probably hydraulic, that's why the tires don't steer with it off. #6 is all I can help with...Sorry

LNK

/ MF 231s...lots of questions
Well, there are still more questions;

1- Does that oil look normal? That dipstick is from the position on the RH side of the tractor, under the seat IMG_0514.JPG
2- Under the seat, RH side, what is this adjustment? Same place, what does the pedal do?IMG_0510.JPG
3- Where should these levers be set when running with a plow or disk?IMG_0512.JPG

/ MF 231s...lots of questions #4  

1- Does that oil look normal? That dipstick is from the position on the RH side of the tractor, under the seatView attachment 502623
2- Under the seat, RH side, what is this adjustment? Same place, what does the pedal do?View attachment 502624
3- Where should these levers be set when running with a plow or disk?View attachment 502625

I am pretty sure you can get an operator manual from Massey Ferguson. They are still in business, you need to find a dealer. The manual will explain all the controls as well as oil levels. That is where you should start. I don't know about these new tractors, but google or some other search engine should get you some answers....

Good luck....

LNK

/ MF 231s...lots of questions #5  

1- Does that oil look normal? That dipstick is from the position on the RH side of the tractor, under the seatView attachment 502623
2- Under the seat, RH side, what is this adjustment? Same place, what does the pedal do?View attachment 502624
If it was mine...I would start by changing all filters and fluids...who knows what schedule the previous owner was following...I did just that when I bought my MF 2605, manuals should be easy to get from any AGCO/MF dealer, the 231 was a popular model, so should not be a problem.
Picture #2 is the rate of descent adjustment lever I beleive for the 3pt...and your last picture is the position and draft control levers.
If it is like my 2605 (modern version of the 231)...the inner lever is for up and down, the outer lever is your draft control for ground ingaging implement, the more you put it down, the deeper your implement will penetrate the ground.
I hope this helps a little .

/ MF 231s...lots of questions #6  
I think I found a manual on line for my 231...free. Downloaded it off the net. A lot of those era Masseys had the same controls and worked the same so you'll be able to figure it out. The internet is your friend and the folks on this forum know everything. Great group.