Newbie with Rounded MF 135 transmission fill plug

/ Newbie with Rounded MF 135 transmission fill plug #1  

kethridge

Tractor
MF 135; Ford 5000
Any suggestions for removing a MF 135 transmission fill plug?

Heck: What's the exact size? 1inch? 7/8 inch?

I ordered a new fill plug and the it's inch, but the plug on tractor is not responding to a 1-inch socket (could be because of rounding). I do not have a 7/8 socket or metric.

I don't have a welder to tap-weld another bolt on top.

Suggestions?

/ Newbie with Rounded MF 135 transmission fill plug #2  
Need a pic. It was probably metric. All my dad's MF stuff is metric and all my LS stuff is metric.

Things that could work:

Splined socket
Vice grips
Pipe wrench
E Z Out
Chisel and hammer

/ Newbie with Rounded MF 135 transmission fill plug
Thanks for the quick reply. The tractor does not have a plate with the serial number on it. It is the Perkins diesel though.

IMG_3174.jpgIMG_3175.jpg

/ Newbie with Rounded MF 135 transmission fill plug #4  
A splined socket or splined wrench will take that right off. Carefully file those squished edges off first to give you maximum bite. You may have to lightly tap the socket/wrench on with a hammer. Hold pressure on the socket/wrench and hit the top with a hammer. It will come right off.

/ Newbie with Rounded MF 135 transmission fill plug #5  
:welcome:

:tractor: I'm going to move this thread over to our Massey Ferguson section.

/ Newbie with Rounded MF 135 transmission fill plug #6  
Ditto on the filing. I've been able, in several instances, to file enough on the sides of the hex head to be able to get a slightly undersized socket to fit & bite. Just try to ensure that the filed areas are perpendicular to the mounting surface, not sloped.

You MAY have to tap the socket down onto it, and if you can find a socket (6-point, preferably) that has slightly rounded internal points, that socket style will transmit more of its torque to the flats of the hex head rather than on the points of the hex head, generally a better way to go. Might be well worth the cost of a socket.

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/04SSS-Socket-Sets-Ben/04SSS15/04S_SS_15-4.jpg
https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/398331/

/ Newbie with Rounded MF 135 transmission fill plug
UPDATE:

I was able to break nut free with impact wrench. It's just touch getting to bolt head.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

/ Newbie with Rounded MF 135 transmission fill plug #8  
Gotta love those impact wrenches!! Glad you got it off.