GC1715 SEAT Adjustment want more room and comfort on the GC1715 ?

/ GC1715 SEAT Adjustment want more room and comfort on the GC1715 ? #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

2 years ago - I was soon to be a new Massey GC1715 owner. And I posted on TBN about an idea I had to increase leg room with the seat positioning. Then a week or so later when my tractor arrived - I implemented that change without any issues. Total tools needed was one wrench or socket and about 5 minutes time.

1. Lets start with the Massey seat on the GC1715 - I can only comment on that one because its what I know best. They designed it a great deal of flexibility that is not in the manuals. There is a seat adjustment "stop". and in my original thread I indicated that the stop needs only to have 2 bolts removed and spin the "stop" by 180 degrees and re-input the bolts. It gave me and others who followed the idea another 3 inches of seat adjustment room with no negatives or modifications required.

It works great for operators that are taller, or heavy built or have long legs. But it also works exceptionally well if you where big shoes or big boots or have right ankle and knee limitations.

But now I've discovered that again without need for modifications - there is another effort that can be done which further adds an additional couple inches of room on top of the original idea - again without weakening or limiting the seat design in any way and without effecting the seat switch or adjustment flexibility for others.

2. Again - this alteration requires just a wrench and about 15 minutes of time. I found that the whole seat bracketry rides on 2 tracks that are the adjustment tracks. The entire seat and bracketry is held to the tracks by 4 bolts that face downward. Now I found it convenient to take the actual seat off at the hinge - just because the seat is a heavy duty item and taking it off gave me better space to work and no leverage issues on the bracketry.

The wrench fits underneath the tracking on the nut and you take the 4 nuts off. Pick up the bracketry and there are another set of holes further back on the bracket that perfectly match the one originally bolted into - except they are about 1.25 inches back. Set the bracketry in place as a whole and retighten the 4 nuts. the entire seat and bracketry is fastened fully and properly with no changes to wiring underneath or seat switch or support for the coil suspension and spring suspension on the seat.

By following #1 and #2 adjustments above - you end up with:

a. more leg room if you are tall - have long legs or have stiff leg, knee or ankle limitations - or wear large boots or shoes.

b. You'll also find if you are heavy set or wear bulky jackets that you have more room from the steering wheel - more room using the seat belt - and the seat front doesn't protrude in the path of getting on and off the tractor.

c. You also get a wider adjustment pattern so the seat can be moved back for more room or still moved forward for average sized room and needs. Also because adjustment back and forth is normal - an average or smaller person working on their GC1715 in shorts and sandals in summer heat - has some added space options for winter cold weather gear without being cramped.

Now this is all true for the GC1715 - because Massey/Iseki built in some reversible dual use parts in their manufacturing design - which made it easier for them - but it also makes it easier for us to easily adapt their reverse design parts for new benefits. - But again - you won't find this in any manuals.

Now the GC1705, GC1710, and GC1720 have some different seat situations than mine - but I'm guessing Massey/Iseki did some similar reverse part manufacture use in some ways and there may be some similar possibilities to consider on these other models as well. So operators might have easy ways to adapt their seats for better space use as I described.

Just an example: Back a year ago or so - someone messaged me that he had read the tread early on at the time I wrote it - but that he didn't think my idea applied to him because he was medium height and medium weight. But a few months after reading it initially the temperature changed and he was wearing heavier clothes - so he tried the idea and it considerably helped his use of the unit in colder weather or when wearing his hunting boots. It also helped his Dad all year long who has some knee issues and allowed his dad to use the tractor longer and with better foot control and comfort.

Sometimes TBN threads contain good ideas that don't always appear important or related to the reader - and then - time and ideas can change in value LOL

/ GC1715 SEAT Adjustment want more room and comfort on the GC1715 ? #2  
I have a 1705 and the other day I looked and seen the holes you were talking about so it looks like all tractors in the GC series have the holes so you can move the seat brackets to give you more room

/ GC1715 SEAT Adjustment want more room and comfort on the GC1715 ?
Charlton. . . That may be I don't know. But the holes is the smaller but still beneficial item 2. The biggest benefit is item 1. and when both are combined as I did. . . It means big tractor seating comfort on a SCUT sized unit.

/ GC1715 SEAT Adjustment want more room and comfort on the GC1715 ? #4  
I adjusted the bolts on my 1705 but not the stop yet. I am 6'2, and while I enjoy more leg room, the distance from the steering wheel negates it. I feel myself leaning forward more, putting strain on my back. I don't think I will mess with the stop. If only they had telescopic steering wheels and a longer loader joystick.

/ GC1715 SEAT Adjustment want more room and comfort on the GC1715 ? #5  
I modified mine the day I bought it. I'm 6.2, I also removed the spring for the seat switch, I know they are there for safety but I'm the only one that has a key to my tractor and I like to be able to move the tractor around without sitting on the seat to attach 3pt implements.

I modified mine the day I bought it. I'm 6.2, I also removed the spring for the seat switch, I know they are there for safety but I'm the only one that has a key to my tractor and I like to be able to move the tractor around without sitting on the seat to attach 3pt implements.

I've never been oriented to lots of safety sensor overkill on lawnmowers etc.. But I have found great value in the seat switch on my GC for several reasons.

1. When tired it's ever so easy to forget about "neutral and the brake". With the switch active I get about half way off the seat and it starts to kill - giving me time to set back down and do it right. Or if I slip on ice or snow on the deck.

2. Or let's put it in a different light. I'm interested in getting off quick for whatever the reason. That might be emergency or fast response or. . . . .. I'm confident that I can do exactly that and stop the tractor cold without reaching for the key or anything else. In effect. . . I can use it in reverse of its design for good purposes too.

Interesting that 6' 2" guys have "reaching the steering wheel" issues while I am considerably shorter and don't have the same issue. I could suggest adding a wheel spinner to benefit your reach. And as far as the fel joystick, you can make or buy "grips" that are used for tool handles that would extend its reach. or you could make or buy a decorative grip as we did years ago for vehicle gear shifters.

For me the seasons make a big difference in thickness of coats and size of shoes/boots. So for me the seat changes from "setback" to "way back".

/ GC1715 SEAT Adjustment want more room and comfort on the GC1715 ? #8  
I don't really have trouble reaching the steering wheel, but I feel myself moving forward more in doing so, which puts some strain on my back. Overall, I do plan on leaving it adjusted because the leg room is important. I haven't had my tractor in colder months yet, so I haven't experienced the benefit with thicker clothing.

As for the seat switch, I will probably leave it in place. I'm not putting a deck on mine, so I'm not worried about that issue. One thing I have had happen was I hit a couple big bumps and the seat bounced enough to try and momentarily kill the engine. I did not like that. I almost decided to disable it but I am going to give it some more time as that was a one time event.

/ GC1715 SEAT Adjustment want more room and comfort on the GC1715 ? #9  
For some the seat switch thing is a good thing, for me not so much. Reaching the wheel is not a problem at all for me but a tilt wheel would be pretty handy.

Last edited:
For some the seat switch thing is a good thing, for me not so much. Reaching the wheel is not a problem at all for me but a tilt wheel would be pretty handy.

I'd suggested to Massey that they consider a tilt and telescoping steering wheel some time ago. The response I got is too many people put strain on the steering wheel in getting on and off tractors. And I had to agree with them about that because some on TBN have admitted bearing failure or stress that had to be repaired. Imagine how much you'd have to beef up the column are to accommodate the idea - it would be substantial.