1531 losing power when brush hog engaged

/ 1531 losing power when brush hog engaged #1  

Brandoniumm

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1531
I am having some trouble losing power in a fairly specific situation. The engine appears to run at full speed with the throttle fully open, while traveling, and even while the pto is engaged. However, with any kind of load on the brush hog, the engine slows to the point it cuts out entirely if I don't come to a complete stop and let the power build back up. Initially, I can get about 100 feet, then about 10 after that. Turning off the PTO immediately restores to full power. I have replaced the fuel filter and blown off the air screen and had no luck with the issue with those attempted fixes. Any help would be appreciated. Treat me like I know nothing (because that's pretty much true).

/ 1531 losing power when brush hog engaged #2  
check the air filter

/ 1531 losing power when brush hog engaged #3  
How big is the brush hog? How many hours since you changed the fuel filter? I had an issue where I was 50 or 100 rpm shy of pto speed. A new fuel filter took care of it.

/ 1531 losing power when brush hog engaged #4  
I know only slightly more than nothing, but sounds similar to the fuel issues I had with clogged filters...looks like others agree. You said you changed it, look at it again...did you recently fill up the tank? Could be a bad or dirty batch of fuel that quickly clogged the a new filter. Could also be a clog in the fuel line..