My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!!

/ My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #1  

Stlmatt

Tractor
2015 GC1720TLB
Well It's been awhile since my last post, but wanted to update what's been going on with this tractor.
I bought a New GC1720TLB in April of 2015, It has the DL95 loader and CB65 hoe, 48"finish mower. Paid 18K
Current hours 223
So far this machine has spent over 3 months of its life in the shop, I've taken it in 4 times myself and several times I was able to get the dealer to come get it a few times. (had to really ***** and get factory involved to do so)
My first issue was the linkage for the loader control arm came apart and the arm just flopped around, I had to fix it in the field as loader was set on the ground when it broke.
Next I had several hydro leaks and the unit had NO power....the dealer had to come get it twice, they ended up replacing the hydro pump the second trip.
I was so unhappy with the first dealer the factory service rep transferred my warranty to another dealer......something to think about it when buying new....how far is the dealer???, I live just outside the St.Louis area and my closest dealer is still an hour drive:-( Not a big deal unless you have the issues I have had.......I have spent over 12 hours driving and several days off work taking this POS in and or picking it up.
Anyway back to the list of issues.
High range on my machine is worthless, its only good for flat level ground.......I have to mow (48" finish mower) in Low range because it wont go up a small hill in high range.....Dealer told me this just how it is, Live with it.....my friends JD1025 goes anywhere it wants in high range:-(
I can't count how many bolts and things I have tightened/replaced on this machine, every hydro QD/hose has had to be tightened....as if they were installed hand tight...WTF!
I have had the throttle cable replaced once and its now being replaced again because it gets locked up/stiff and wont move without feeling like you are going to rip the lever off....yes I tried lubing it.
The bolt that secures the lower three point hitch arm pin in place fell out, causing the pin for the arms to slide out enough that the left arm was flopping around (another must fix yourself....because I was using it at the time)
Now the latest major issue. I was using the loader to mover some dirt when I heard a loud POP and the tractor almost tipped over, I had a decent amount of weight in the bucket (but it was NOT overloaded or even close to Max weight) the weld from the LH loader support (the part that mounts to the frame of the tractor) broke and the loader tilted causing the tractor to feel unstable....I dropped the bucket ASAP when it happened and I think that's what saved me.
You can see in the picture that its a faulty Weld, it was really one welded in one small spot, 95% of the weld was never really welded.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at it......WHAT a crappy job! So time to load up and make another 2.5 hours round trip to the dealer........when I got there he agreed and was like what the ****!!!!! that's horrible, said I should have it back in a week, they are also going to replace the throttle cable, order the correct bolt for the three point arm pin as well as service the machine.
That's was on 5-23-17, I called today and they are still waiting on warranty approval for the broken weld.......when I asked why is it taking so long, I was told here is the number to AGCO call them myself.....so I did, and I'm still waiting on a return call.
I am amazed at the lack of customer support for this POS, I don't know about most dealers but the ones I've been to are small rural dealer that have little inventory and don't seem to know a thing about these GC1700's.......again I should have went with a JD or Kubota....at least they have dealers close and seem to stock a lot of equipment and parts.
I will say the CB65 Hoe has been great and I do think its better than the other brands......but then again I don't use the hoe very often, I bought a NEW tractor because I didn't want to work on a used one.....well so much for that. If I could have bought this unit for half the price it still wouldn't be a good value.......considering the time I've spent working on it and time in for repairs....I'm sure I'm leaving out a few other issues, but my mind is so mad about it I cant think.

Thoughts? Stl Matt

MF1.jpg
MF2.jpg

/ My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #2  
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Talk about a $uck weld!
I bought a used Kubota to avoid the tier 4 crap...now I'm just glad I bought a Bota!
Seems like Green or Orange is the way to go, for the most part. Definitely an advantage for parts and service.

/ My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #3  
I had every bit as bad a story with regard to a MF2660 (much larger) tractor. It literally took me 3 years to get the bugs out. I won't go into details on that (unless someone really wants to hear it all) but I did learn a few things that may help you.
1) Get the direct phone number of your regional service rep for AGCO/MF. That may or may not be the number the dealer gave you. In my experience the regional rep is besieged by complaints but very straightforward and honest once you get the true picture of the machine across to them. They have the authority to resolve your warrantee issues (and who has to pay for what.) They have authority not only to approve your warrantee service but also to dictate that a replacement loader mounting assembly be used vice a home-brew re-weld which I say is unacceptable. By the way, you should be able to get AGCO to give yu the name and phone number of the regional service rep using their on-line site. Set up an account with them if you have not. Typically gives access to parts books and documentation, etc. They will steer everything they can to "dealer" as if they know no other word but you can insist.
2) In the long run -- very long run -- AGCO made everything right in my case. Thank gawd I was not making a living using that tractor ! It literally took 3 years. Every case has its' oddities and mine was being 330 miles from the farm and the machine while trying to get a stressed local dealer to fix it. A good accessible dealer is absolutely worth their weight in gold.
3) You and your dealer both know that weld is obviously defective ! I say you deserve a new loader mounting assembly, not a repaired one. I'm betting the regional rep will quickly agree. Notice in your photo that the weld is SUPPOSED to melt equal amounts of steel on each side of the path of the weld -- it melted lots on one side and almost none on the other. A classic case of a manufacturing defect if there ever was one.
4) I have owned a new 48 horse Deere (10 years), a new MF 81 horse (6 years), and 3 used Kubotas (mix & more than 20 years.) None are faultless. It depends hugely on WHERE it was made ! The MF was made in Brazil and had NO quality control coming out of the factory. The Kubotas have their share of oddities (like the small ones eat hydraulic hoses and steering cylinders until replaced, and they overheat too easily, which is undersized water pumps in my opinion...) and the Deere frankly had one interlock for neutral hangup in 10 years. As close to flawless as you could beg for. My son-in-law still owns the Deere and it is 17 years old. One of the 3 Kubotas (an older B2150 I've had for 27 years) has literally been flawless -- NEVER had a repair other than my home tinkering. The Deere was "made in Japan" and I hate to admit it but that is the key. Get one made in Japan. Do not ever consider one made in Brazil. That said, my MF2660 seems bulletproof now that the bugs are out and it is a real workhorse, FINALLY.

Last edited:
   / My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #4  
I'd demand to have this replaced. Tell them it's a lemon. PERIOD. Don't be hostile with the dealer or factory reps. Just make it a point that this will be dealt with. If you have to park it at the dealer's and hold a sign pointing it out as a lemon then do it, if that's what it takes to motivate folks.

My NX5510 came with issues. My dealer took care of them. Even had the loader replaced: factory welded it up with a skewed jig- loader arms were not straight; didn't affect performance, mostly cosmetic, but it wasn't acceptable.

As JWR states, get the ear of the rep. Unless someone gets the info to the factory there is no way they're going to improve their QA/processes.

Where something is made is less the issue than who is overseeing the "baking." It's all about process. I've got cars that were made in Brazil (back in 2000) and they're just fine: maybe the Brazilians all took a nap after then?

It's much cheaper to build something correctly than to try and manage for badly built stuff. If early manufacturing capabilities were a guarantee of future abilities then pretty much everything you see around you wouldn't exist. Improvement is essential to staying in business.

/ My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #5  
It is possible you got a lemon. My 2010 GC2610TLB had a recall on the steering which got repaired at the dealer without delay but I'm under the opinion that the mechanic did a poor job of securing the hydraulic steering hose. This allowed it to chafe and spring a leak. I bought a new hose and installed it myself with no response concerning a request to have warranty cover the cost. The hood hinge welds broke away from the hood. I rewelded them myself, adding a brace and repainting this area black rather than trying to match the red. This is all I've ever had to repair at seven years and 650 hours.

/ My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #6  
I can say for certain you bought a lemon that will never be right. Very seldom have I read more than a few negative tractor threads concerning Massey GC tractors. Sorry to hear, I have never bought a lemon tractor but I have spent 40 grand on a truck that was a lemon so I know how you feel. Get a hold of Agco and demand replacement.

/ My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #7  
My GC1710 has been a workhorse. Very satisfied. Sorry to hear the many problems you have had. Very surprising. A few issues, well all brands have that. Your experience is off the charts for some reason. Hope things get better.

/ My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #8  
Some times one ends up with something that's really a struggle early on but then when sorted out turns out fine, even great. I bought a washing machine that had all kinds of issues, I even replaced the main circuit board (parts supplied under warranty). Many people might have given up, but I kept the unit: it was what I wanted. What appeared to be something that wouldn't last more than 5 years has now been quite reliably running for 20.

It can be frustrating. But, what can you do? One invests a lot of time. If you give up then you've got to deal with disposing of the item (forcing it to be bought back, or sell it etc.), researching again, and, perhaps going through more new manufacturing issues. There's a strong point for going with used stuff, and that's that someone else has usually gone through the early issues: only new vehicle I've ever bought has been my Kioti. I suppose that it's at this time when the dealers matter the most; one should never feel like they're in a battle alone.

/ My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #9  
Sometimes one ends up with something that's really a struggle early on but then when sorted out turns out fine, even great. I bought a washing machine that had all kinds of issues, I even replaced the main circuit board (parts supplied under warranty). Many people might have given up, but I kept the unit: it was what I wanted. What appeared to be something that wouldn't last more than 5 years has now been quite reliably running for 20.

It can be frustrating. But, what can you do? One invests a lot of time. If you give up then you've got to deal with disposing of the item (forcing it to be bought back, or sell it etc.), researching again, and, perhaps going through more new manufacturing issues. There's a strong point for going with used stuff, and that's that someone else has usually gone through the early issues: only new vehicle I've ever bought has been my Kioti. I suppose that it's at this time when the dealers matter the most; one should never feel like they're in a battle alone.

/ My GC1720TLB is a POS. Buyer Beware!!!! #10  
Sometimes one ends up with something that's really a struggle early on but then when sorted out turns out fine, even great. I bought a washing machine that had all kinds of issues, I even replaced the main circuit board (parts supplied under warranty). Many people might have given up, but I kept the unit: it was what I wanted. What appeared to be something that wouldn't last more than 5 years has now been quite reliably running for 20.