Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review

/ Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review #1  

LukeDuke30

Bronze Member
Tractor
2016 Massey 1734e
Hi everyone, I have been reading this forum for over a year now. I purchased a Massey Ferguson 1734e about a year ago. My wife and I purchased about 11 acres for a future home build. Since that time, I have cleared close to 250 3-8'' trees, (Mainly Bradford Pears) which seem to grow like weeds, and many small thorn tree/heavy brush patches that were the result of 15 years of

I started out by removing trees, bush hogging, burning etc. I will say this - a good chain and stump bucket are the best way I have found to get rid of small trees and stumps! The regular bucket works, but a stump bucket makes quick work of the roots and heavy clay soil.

I bought a woods RC6 rotary cutter when I bought the tractor. I paid $18,200 for the tractor and cutter. I almost upgraded and purchased the premium 1742, but it was another $8,000 and was on a larger frame. I have about 150 hours on the tractor, and have had no problems at all with the exception of a flat tire from the lovely Bradford Pear trees that have 2-3 inch thorn-like protrusions.

It is an Economy tractor so sometimes certain amenities are left off. I am not missing anything I can't live without other than a third function valve. This is also my first tractor so I really have nothing to compare it to other than a New Holland TC33D which a friend owns. I borrowed it last spring to start the bush hogging process. My Massey seems much more robust, and the loader is much more capable. Ergonomically the Massey is fine for me. I am tall, but there is plenty of room for operating.

At the end of the day, this has been one of the best purchases I could have made. It has a heavy frame, large front axle housings, and fit and finish seem very high. Within reason, it has done everything I have needed it to do! Once the house is built, I will use it for odds and ends, and probably my primary finish mower once we are ready for that. I give it a 10/10. Even my wife enjoys cutting down the tall grass! Some before and after pictures below

before clear.jpg after clear.jpg1734e.jpgTrees before.jpgtrees after.jpg1734kd.jpgIMG_3879.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4508.JPG
    IMG_4508.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 326
  • IMG_4511.JPG
    IMG_4511.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 284
   / Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review #2  
So good to hear a nice review, thanks for posting it.

Looks like you have real nice piece of property!

/ Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review
So good to hear a nice review, thanks for posting it.

Looks like you have real nice piece of property!

Thanks! There haven't been really any 1734 reviews, mainly the smaller 1710/20 tractors. The property is a work in progress, and has come a long way in the past year. How do you like your 1736? I almost went with that, but the price difference was too much for some extra lift capacity and a few more pounds.

/ Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review #4  
Thanks! There haven't been really any 1734 reviews, mainly the smaller 1710/20 tractors. The property is a work in progress, and has come a long way in the past year. How do you like your 1736? I almost went with that, but the price difference was too much for some extra lift capacity and a few more pounds.
I purchased a front mounted blower with it due to our long (1/3 mile) driveway. The first year of ownership there was no snow, however during this last winter it was a pleasure to be inside a heated cab as I blew snow well off the driveway.

The only discouraging aspect of my 1736 is using the hydro on an incline when you come to a stop. To start again there is quite the delay from when you release the brake until the hydro takes hold in either forward or reverse. Drifting a foot or more depending on the grade of slope and if you are headed into a drainage ditch its not a good feeling. A limit switch on the brake must lockout the hydro. Compared to my New Holland, which is also a hydro, there is no drift and no limit switch, a much nicer design in my opinion.

As you mentioned, there is a much greater lift capacity with the Massey over my TC33D, the Massey is just overall a much beefier machine.

/ Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review
Did you get a third-function set up on your 1736? I am thinking about getting one for my 1734 because I have many more small trees to remove. I have been pushing them over, then pushing them with the bucket into a large pile. It would be a lot easier to pick them up with a grapple. Pushing them works, and I have actually become good at getting 7-8 12' trees together, then rolling and pushing them where I want with just the bucket.

Luke

/ Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review #6  
No I haven't done anything with the third-function, but now that you mention it I'm starting think it would be nice to have a grapple as well. If you get one please share what you do.

/ Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review #7  
I have a 1726e for about the last 16 months. I have used it to drill about 70 post holes, move several tons of materials, maintain the gravel driveway, and I'm now running a flail mower to mow an acre pasture. It has done everything I've needed on my smaller 3 acre lot. Really love it.

/ Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review #8  
The only discouraging aspect of my 1736 is using the hydro on an incline when you come to a stop. To start again there is quite the delay from when you release the brake until the hydro takes hold in either forward or reverse. Drifting a foot or more depending on the grade of slope and if you are headed into a drainage ditch its not a good feeling. A limit switch on the brake must lockout the hydro. Compared to my New Holland, which is also a hydro, there is no drift and no limit switch, a much nicer design in my opinion.

I just went and looked at a 1736 Hydro. There are two knobs on the left hand control area. One says "Response" and "Slow", "Quick". The other one has a Rabbit and Tortoise but I don't remember the label. Would either of these influence the responsiveness of the Hydro when first engaging?

/ Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review #9  
:welcome:
Welcome to the TBN forum Luke. We are glad that you joined.

I saw everyone else on that new tractor except you. :laughing: Where about in IN are you located?

/ Old Viewer (New Poster) Massey 1734e Review #10  
I just went and looked at a 1736 Hydro. There are two knobs on the left hand control area. One says "Response" and "Slow", "Quick". The other one has a Rabbit and Tortoise but I don't remember the label. Would either of these influence the responsiveness of the Hydro when first engaging?
It really does not as its the limit switch on the brake pedal which eliminates the hydro engagement. The switch is activated right at the initial travel of the brake pedal, I don't believe there is an adjustment on it, but I'll have to look. The issue it the application of the brake holding the tractor is much further down. I think even if you could adjust this switch there is still enough of a delay before the hydro catches, its just really different than my New Holland that does not have a switch.

Has anyone else experienced this with their hydro model?