Massey nightmare continues

/ Massey nightmare continues #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
I have an 0lder allis Chalmers 185 (about 75 hp), it has been a pretty good reliable older tractor. I purchased a massey ferguson 1531 four wheel drive with a loader thinking it would be a handy light tractor on the farm. I have been around the farm and tractor all my life.( all different makes and models: John Deere, allis Chalmers, ih,Ford, Kubota, case, ect.) This massey ferguson 1531 Will not hold up on the farm. I told dealer I use the allis for heavier work loads. My father has a John Deere 4100 which is rated smaller than my massey ferguson. He has had his John Deere over 10 years. His John Deere has been very reliable and kicks my massey ferguson's butt. My massey ferguson has about 1500 hours. The four wheel drive has shelled 3 times. The steering cylinder broke. The oil cooler sprung a leak. The three point lift arms have screwed up three different times. The pto shelled and I concerned it may shell again because it won't stay km engaged. The joy stick hand for the loader kept breaking, finally I put a handle on it from an old John Deere 55 combine. That solved that particular issue. As for me a massey ferguson compact tractor is the most unreliable piece of equipment I have ever owned bar none from cars trucks, tractors, machinery, lawn equipment, etc. My opinion is a massey ferguson compact tractor is basically a throw away junk tractor. DON'T BUY A MASSEY FERGUSON COMPACT TRACTOR!!!

My father purchased a John Deere 4100 four wheel tractor with a loader about 10- 12 years ago. It is about 22 hp. He has had really good luck with it. He has scooped manure, dug up water lines, plowed snow and use the loader to break drifts. He has a 5 ft brush hog that he used to mow with. The tractor handled the brush hog very nicely. He also has a belly mower, however he does not like the belly mower and purchased a zero turn mower. My advice mow your 2 acres with a brush hog and use a zero turn for up close around your home. I have a massey ferguson 1531 which is 31 hp. Dad's little John Deere kick my massey ferguson's butt. My massey ferguson compact tractor has had lots of problems and break downs. I told dealer they ought to paint it yellow so everyone knows it's a lemon. Stay with a John Deere and don't purchase a massey ferguson compact tractor.

My 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor has same problem. I think it is an engineering problem. The heat gets trapped under the hood and can't escape. I took side panels off mine and it helps. Most of your older farm tractors did not have side panels. I have had tremendous problems and issues with my massey ferguson compact tractor and will never BUY another massey ferguson tractor again.

My 1531 has similar issues under load, especially brush hogging tall thick grass. Nothing run except the tractor is gutless. I had so many problems and issues that I will never BUY another massey ferguson compact tractor.

1 have a 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor. It is four wheel drive with a loader. It is rated at 31 horsepower. This tractor has 1500 hours and has shelled the four wheel drive 3 times,the pto,and broken the steering cylinder. The three point lift arms have screwed up three different times and the oil cooler sprung a leak. I have an allis Chalmers 185 (about 75 hp) to handle heavier applications. I thought this would a nice handy little tractor around the farm. I have been around the farm and tractors all my life (John Deere, ih, case, Ford, allis Chalmers, Kubota, etc.) My father has a John Deere 4100 rated at about 22 np. His tractor kicks my massey ferguson's butt in both reliability and performance. I have never owned anything (car, truck, tractor, machinery, lawn equipment, etc.) That has been so unreliable and full of issues and breakdown. I will purchase another massey ferguson compact tractor.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Massey nightmare continues
I have a 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor. It has cost me 10000 dollars in maintenance and repair last year alone. The pto was completely rebuilt last year costing 5500 dollars with a 12 month warranty. Last night I was mowing the road side with a 5 foot brush hog and here we go again NO PTO. Conveniently for agco the rebuild last right at 13 months. NEVER NEVER NEVER will I purchase another massey ferguson/agco products.

/ Massey nightmare continues #3  
Why are you spamming every thread with this? At this point it looks more like an agenda more than anything else.

All 6 of your post are hate threads. No ask of help, just bash.

That isn't the way to a solution...FYI

I am not a high tech guy. What do you mean "spamming"? I am try to post the problems and issues I am having with my tractor. I am currently working with agco and the dealer. I have no agenda. I hope this post does the right thing when I try to post it.

/ Massey nightmare continues #5  
What Snobdds was saying, I am guessing,
is that if you join a forum, and then only post repeatedly saying you will never buy a certain brand again, is appears as if you are denigrating everyone who owns that brand. And it comes off very Trollish.

. It may not be your intent, but it is how it comes across, when every post you make states that you will never buy something again, and you only complain about your tractor.

.joining an Internet forum, such as this, to just trash a certain brand, rarely produces a positive outcome.

..It would be more productive to phrase your complaints, in the form of questions, i.e.
"Has anyone else had PTO issues with their Massey 1531??

Just the rambling thoughts of a senile old man...:)

Just a few thoughts and comparison I guess to be fair. I also own an allis Chalmers 185 ( about 75 hp). I have plowed, disk, baled hay, etc. It is a real work horse, and it be. I will say the my massey ferguson 1531 engine has held up well, but is not power house I'd like (maybe I used the allis). The allis is a standard transmission, I don't think hydrostatic drive had been developed when the allis was made. I will admit that I was Leary of the hydrostatic drive. It has both spoiled me and held really well. My allis also has loader with a 7 ft bucket. Of course the allis will lift more and it should. However, the massey ferguson has and better hydraulic response time ( ie the speed of which the loader raises and lowers). The allis is really slow. The massey ferguson has good dependable hydraulics. Maybe if you had 5 acres and a garden this tractor maybe ok, but I don't feel it can hold up to the riggers the farm.

/ Massey nightmare continues #7  
Maybe if you had 5 acres and a garden this tractor maybe ok, but I don't feel it can hold up to the riggers the farm.

That's why it's a compact tractor, and not a utility/farm tractor. :)

OP: I didn't go looking for your other posts, but it sounds like there is a problem with your tractor specifically, which probably has little to do with the MF badge on the side. My landlord has a MF 1260 that does nothing but mow with a 6' brush hog, and they run over all sorts of bad stuff... They've ripped the deck off the brackets at least once, by the looks of it.

You may also have a problem with your dealer if you're spending $5k to fix a PTO, and getting no feedback as to what went wrong. I'm an engineer, so I always want to know exactly what failed, and what the cause of the failure was... If it was a defect with a specific part, I would not expect failure of the same part twice. If there is a design problem, you should have bee advised so, and after a hopefully helpful discussion with the dealer and rep, replaced it with something else.

If you're just saying "It's broke, fix it!" to the dealer, you're basically saying that you're willing to pay them for whatever failure they can think up... Demand to know what broke, and why. Get the factory rep involved if the dealer seems iffy, or go somewhere else if there is another dealer nearby.

Finally, saying "It broke, don't buy that brand" to us is NOT HELPFUL AT ALL. They ALL break at some point, and for lots of reasons. If the PTO on the 1531 just isn't up to full time use, that's good info to pass along. (And a great reason to buy a different, probably larger tractor...)
If something like the PTO clutch wears out quickly, that's good info too.

Help us with more info, and we'll help you if we can. If you just wanted a shoulder to cry on, or to vent, please post to Facebook instead, as it seems to be full of that lately... :)

And I am sorry for your bad luck, if that's what it is.

/ Massey nightmare continues #8  
Here are the final sentences from 5 of the OPs other comments on this forum:

"I have never owned anything (car, truck, tractor, machinery, lawn equipment, etc.) That has been so unreliable and full of issues and breakdown. I will purchase another massey ferguson compact tractor."

"I had so many problems and issues that I will never BUY another massey ferguson compact tractor."

"I have had tremendous problems and issues with my massey ferguson compact tractor and will never BUY another massey ferguson tractor again."

"Stay with a John Deere and don't purchase a massey ferguson compact tractor."

"My opinion is a massey ferguson compact tractor is basically a throw away junk tractor. DON'T BUY A MASSEY FERGUSON COMPACT TRACTOR!!!"

As mentioned, these are not very useful, and not likely to get your nay help or advice.

Based on your comments so far, you bought a tractor that is smaller than what you are used to and likely smaller than you need. You might very well have a lemon, or have an incompetent dealer making repairs. The other possibility is you are beating the heck out of your tractor because you are used to a larger machine....or some combination of all of the above....

Regardless of all that. If I were you, at some point, I'd stop throwing good money after bad.

/ Massey nightmare continues #9  
Combined everything into one thread on the subject. Please try to avoid multiple replies of the same subject across multiple threads. Thanks.

/ Massey nightmare continues #10  
Okay we all know you hate Massey Furguson by now, sounds like a lemon tractor to me, if so, someone is going to get one at some point, man manufactured equipment is not without error at some point.

31 engine horse power on a farm has limited use, 50-100hp in a farm/utility tractor would be of more use,

And for goodness sake don't buy another Massey furguson..