50 hr maintenance

/ 50 hr maintenance #1  

SHOOKIE

Tractor
massey ferguson gc1710
Just bought MF Gc1710 . love it so far . now I am at 50 hour maintenance. Looking to find the service manual without breaking the bank. Anybody know where to get it in pdf

/ 50 hr maintenance #2  
AGCO has them locked down pretty tight, and they don't give them away $$$$$.
Your fifty hour service should be pretty straightforward, the information should be in your owners manual which you should have received with your tractor. On my 1734e it was filters and fluids. The only complication I encountered was the necessity to remove the loader support subframe member to remove the hydraulic suction filter.
Oh it was also fun putting ten gallons of hydraulic oil in through a 1" hole behind the seat :laughing:

/ 50 hr maintenance #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

As mapper said, all of the information will be in your Owners Manual. Mostly it's an oil filter & oil change, grease all the nipples and check fluid levels. I'd also suggest going around the tractor with a torque wrench and ensuring that 'things' are tightened to specifications (they're also in your Owners Manual). Pay particular attention to the wheel lug-nuts. Depending on manufacturer's recommendations, you won't have to change the hydraulic fluid & filter until the 400hr mark.

Enjoy the site.

/ 50 hr maintenance #4  
:welcome: Welcome to the forum!

:tractor: I'm going to move this thread over to our Massey section.

/ 50 hr maintenance #5  
50 HRS service is motor oil and filter, hydraulic oil and filter, front axle oil...grease every grease fittings.
Check and clean air filter, check and adjust tire pressure and retorque the wheels.
Pretty much it.

/ 50 hr maintenance #6  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

As mapper said, all of the information will be in your Owners Manual. Mostly it's an oil filter & oil change, grease all the nipples and check fluid levels. I'd also suggest going around the tractor with a torque wrench and ensuring that 'things' are tightened to specifications (they're also in your Owners Manual). Pay particular attention to the wheel lug-nuts. Depending on manufacturer's recommendations, you won't have to change the hydraulic fluid & filter until the 400hr mark.

Enjoy the site.

WagTail, humbly stated - I think you had a typo - as the 50 hour service is to change the hydro fluid and filter also as well as the front axle fluid and gear box fluid on any mmm etc.. That's in addition to engine oil and oil filter - and I also did the fuel filter at that time.

/ 50 hr maintenance #7  
Don't forget to remove and clean the hydraulic screen filter behind the left rear tire! There are several thread out there describing the process as well as some youtube videos that will show most/all of the process.

/ 50 hr maintenance #8  
WagTail, humbly stated - I think you had a typo - as the 50 hour service is to change the hydro fluid and filter also as well as the front axle fluid and gear box fluid on any mmm etc.. That's in addition to engine oil and oil filter - and I also did the fuel filter at that time.

Right-O & duly noted. :) It's why I twice stated to follow the Owners Manual recommendations.

A full hydraulic fluid/filter change-out is an expensive procedure though. My own 4105 didn't require it until the 400hr mark & there was very few 'flecks' in the filter and 'strained' fluid.

/ 50 hr maintenance #9  
I purchased the factory service manual for my GC1710. About $100. Ho hum. I was underwhelmed. From memory, I think about half of it simply duplicated the owner manual.

I could never find in my owner manual a diagram showing every possible grease location. I checked the factory service manual and found only the same limited information from the owner manual. My experience with buying service manuals for automobiles is that you get a very good, detailed reference manual. Not so much with this one.

btw, the GC1710 is great. No complaints.

/ 50 hr maintenance #10  
I purchased the factory service manual for my GC1710. About $100. Ho hum. I was underwhelmed. From memory, I think about half of it simply duplicated the owner manual.

I could never find in my owner manual a diagram showing every possible grease location. I checked the factory service manual and found only the same limited information from the owner manual. My experience with buying service manuals for automobiles is that you get a very good, detailed reference manual. Not so much with this one.

btw, the GC1710 is great. No complaints.

Greetings Plowhog,

Might I suggest you make a suggestion to AGCO/Massey about improvement ideas you have for the service manual. Why? Because we don't know who actually does the service manuals. Is it Iseki or is it Massey. If you gave them a list of some possible improvements - its highly possible they could adapt them into new printings and send you one for free. At the same time - with today's technology - it isn't nearly as big a deal to alter manuals because everything is digitized.

Why would Agco/Massey alter either their owner's manual or service manual ? I could think of 3 reasons - all to their benefit - with one of them being less warranty claims as better preventive maintenance is an expense-cutting issue on warranties. Another good reason is it can be used as a selling tool vs. the competition. Finally - it makes for a good defense against liability claims or lawsuits. We've obviously seen big changes in the manual in the last few years when it comes to safety label issues - and manuals were re-written or actually new manuals added just for that one reason.

Engineering and quality of materials are much easier to police and determine than are manuals. Tractor improvements and options added are much easier to police than are manuals. Quite frankly - just as with computer software programs - generally a totally different business or group does instruction manuals than is involved in making and designing the products. Generally even brochures are much more scrutinized than are manuals - because they are looked at by the executives and engineers and sales people. Manuals are read and proofed by editors - not engineers. And manuals even 15 years ago were pretty simple in tractors - because the technology advancements of tractors have been much faster, larger in quantity, and more recent than cars and trucks. Just think today how many zerk fittings are on a Massey or Kubota today compared to to a 1999 Kubtoa scut.

My suggestion is - if you do it - make it a comprehensive yet simple to understand list of suggestions. Let logic and common sense show thru in the suggestions including maybe some reasons why each suggestion is to their benefit as well as us as users. Maybe even suggest a "users/operators panel" review the changes after they are made and before printing. I think if you phrase and aim the suggestions in the right way and with the right wording - you would be surprised at their positive response.

In the computer world - the weakest link in any software program was always "the manual", and the "help button" imbeded in the program.

AxleHub