Are these extra lights going to be too much for the electrical system?

/ Are these extra lights going to be too much for the electrical system? #1  

gunner76

Tractor
MF GC1715
I bought a pair of 1400 lumen 20watt LED lights and wanted to make sure they weren't going to be too much of a strain on the electrical system of my GC1715 before I install them. I guess if they are I have a couple of extra off road lights for my truck:D.

ETA. I bought a plug and play install harness since wiring isn't my strong point:ashamed:. Looks like I attach direct to the battery then it goes through both a fuse and relay, then a switch , and finally to the lights.

/ Are these extra lights going to be too much for the electrical system?
Thanks. Now I just got to decide where to mount them. I was going to go on the loader brackets but I think I'll still have issues with the bucket blocking the light like it does on the hood lights. I'm thinking I'll mount them on the side of the ROPS just above the flashers, then remove the wimpy rear facing light the tractor came with and replace it with a couple of LEDs mounted at the base of the ROPS.

/ Are these extra lights going to be too much for the electrical system? #4  
Thanks. Now I just got to decide where to mount them. I was going to go on the loader brackets but I think I'll still have issues with the bucket blocking the light like it does on the hood lights. I'm thinking I'll mount them on the side of the ROPS just above the flashers, then remove the wimpy rear facing light the tractor came with and replace it with a couple of LEDs mounted at the base of the ROPS.

No issue with powering them at all, I mounted mine on the rops as well above the flashers, I built a bracket to hold four 4 inch led lights, two headed backwards and two headed forward, and enough room on the outsides for my 4 inch strobes.

/ Are these extra lights going to be too much for the electrical system? #5  
Gunner,

There is an additional lead wire at the rear of the tractor above the 3 pt. Area that Massey supplies for accessories items (shows it right in your manual. It is designed for a limited draw capacity just like your lights.

/ Are these extra lights going to be too much for the electrical system? #6  
My 1705 had two power and grounds just above where the top link is mounted, pretty **** handy that's for sure. I have found that maintenance, adding electrical items and installing a block heater could not be easier than it is on this little tractor..

got the lights installed. I added two 1400 lumen LED lights facing forward and replaced the weak incandescent rear facing light with another 1400 lumen LED. What a huge difference this made, I can actually see at night now. I mounted the forward facing lights on the ROPS right above the flashers then ran the wires down through a ROPS for a clean look. I wimped out and bought a pre made wiring harness so it was pretty much plug and play, although I forgot to buy the Y harness so I just made my own. The new rear light I tied into the two new lights instead of having it feed off the tail light wire.

Now I just have to decide how big of a fuse I need to run. Right now the only thing I had at home was a 5amp which has been working for the limited use the lights have seen but I don't think that will cut it if I need to run the lights for awhile.

/ Are these extra lights going to be too much for the electrical system? #8  
Now I just have to decide how big of a fuse I need to run. Right now the only thing I had at home was a 5amp which has been working for the limited use the lights have seen but I don't think that will cut it if I need to run the lights for awhile.

Look on the package to see if it indicates how many amps each light assembly draws or how many watts each light assembly is rated at. If amps are shown, add the three values together, add about 20% for good measure, and that is the size of the fuse you need. Get the fuse that is closest to your calculated amps, rounding up to the next size if necessary.

If the package indicates watts, add all three values together, and divide the total by 13.6. The result will be the number of amps your lights will draw with the engine running. Add about 20% for good measure, and that is the size of the fuse you need. Get the fuse that is closest to your calculated amps, rounding up to the next size if necessary.

Look on the package to see if it indicates how many amps each light assembly draws or how many watts each light assembly is rated at. If amps are shown, add the three values together, add about 20% for good measure, and that is the size of the fuse you need. Get the fuse that is closest to your calculated amps, rounding up to the next size if necessary.

If the package indicates watts, add all three values together, and divide the total by 13.6. The result will be the number of amps your lights will draw with the engine running. Add about 20% for good measure, and that is the size of the fuse you need. Get the fuse that is closest to your calculated amps, rounding up to the next size if necessary.

Thanks.

/ Are these extra lights going to be too much for the electrical system? #10  
With respect to amperage...

Recently tested 3 different type of add on LED work/flood lights before adding them to my tractor. What I found was the watts were overstated for all three types. I'm guessing your 20 watt lights are actually less and therefore even less of a strain on the electrical system.

Claimed Watts_____Actual Watts__Amps/Light____# of LEDS/Unit
____18_____________9.5__________0.75____________6
____27____________14.5__________1.18____________9
____36____________26.0__________2.06___________12

These values are for an individual lamp/housing, so the values would have to be doubled for a pair of flood lights.