Massey MF 30E engine revs up.

/ Massey MF 30E engine revs up. #1  

awi2035

Tractor
John Deere/4210, Massey Ferguson MF 30E, 1952 Farmall Cub
We have a Massey Ferguson 1985 MF 30E. For awhile now when we use it to mow our fields with a bush hog, after we have done some mowing the engine suddenly starts to rev up. The only way to stop it is to shut off the fuel. It's a few hours before we can start it up again. At first it did it every once in a great while but now it's more frequent. My husband thinks he knows what the problem is (a faulty fuel injector). Just wondering if any one else has had this problem.

/ Massey MF 30E engine revs up. #3  
I have to agree although I have limited knowledge. I can't say I have ever seen it in farm tractor, but Detroit diesel engines used to have over speed issues an the had an emergency shutdown mechanism that would shut the air off. As far as I know, this problemn was unique only to Detroit engine generally in big trucks. My guess is the injector pump.

/ Massey MF 30E engine revs up. #4  
We have a Massey Ferguson 1985 MF 30E. For awhile now when we use it to mow our fields with a bush hog, after we have done some mowing the engine suddenly starts to rev up. The only way to stop it is to shut off the fuel. It's a few hours before we can start it up again. At first it did it every once in a great while but now it's more frequent. My husband thinks he knows what the problem is (a faulty fuel injector). Just wondering if any one else has had this problem.
A fault injector should not be able to this, how high rpm does it go up to?

/ Massey MF 30E engine revs up.
The issue has been resolved. We cleaned the fuel tank and all of the fuel lines with new filters and are now working on the injector pump. Now we are looking for the iron sealing washers for the banjo bolts on the fuel lines on the pump. Can't seem to find them anywhere. Any suggestions?

IMG_20170829_114318.jpg

Last edited:
We found soft iron washers. We ordered a kit for the injector pump and the washers came in the kit.

We have replaced washers, seals, gaskets and filter in the injector pump. We are reassembling it. We have discovered the idling spring is missing. Now we are on the hunt for it. Apparently the previous owner had taken it off. The governor spring was in the wrong holes and the idling spring is missing. According to the attached diagram the code number stamped into the injector pump is 6 so on the chart find the 6 and that will tell what holes in the throttle shaft link and the governor arm the governor spring should be in.
MFInjectorPump.jpg