How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705

/ How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705 #1  

nickgindy

Tractor
Simplicity Regent Ex
Looking to purchase a MF1705 soon to use for mostly mowing but use the FEL for snow removal , gravel work, and dirt moving. How does well the FEL handle snow? I'll have approximately 300x7 feetish of driveway to clear snow off of. 200 feet of it gravel.

Yard is 1.1 acres surrounded by trees.

Right now I'm mowing with a Simplicity Regent Ex 23 hp with a 42 inch deck. I have a single stage snow thrower for the front it's often heavier than the mower (even with rear weights and rubber chains.)

/ How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705 #2  
Well in my opinion you're on the right track. However, if it were me, I would try and pick up say a 5 ft rear blade that is 3 point hitch design. A front loader is great for breaking drifts, but a little clumsy for snow removal. I'm an old country boy and use a rear blade. Some guys like a snow blower. I personally have never tried a snow blower.

/ How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705
That was my back up plan. A rear blade is cheaper than a front blade setup.

/ How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705 #4  
You will be less than impressed with the volume capacity of the bucket when it comes to snow removal.

Consolidation (taking the air out by pushing the snow around) helps, but the scoop bucket is a poor tool for moving snow.

/ How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705 #5  
Plowing anything but a very small amount of snow, with a small FEL, is fun for about five minutes.

It's also a pain to keep the cutting edge from getting into the gravel.

You can make a loader mounted plow, without spending a lot of money, if you are at all handy.

And, you won't have to back up all day.

I have less than $100 in this one, made from two Bolens tube frame plows, which are pretty easy to find.

Attachments

• IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 334
   / How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705 #6  
With say a 5 ft woods or king litter blade you just set the blade at an angle. Start driving forward and it "windrows" the snow off to the side. When spring comes that same blade will dress up your driveway. No backing up to it. Probably pick up a used blade for 100-150 dollars and you ready to go.

/ How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705 #7  
   / How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705 #8  
Not as good as a plow, but better than a shovel...

/ How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705 #9  
Just front loader...dress warm going to be least an hour 200' driveway.
Plow that angles will save lot of time,just make sure keep snow banks push back.

Many ideas over years on TBN front plows...try SEARCH.

/ How does FEL handle snow? MF 1705 #10  
I live just outside of Indy. We really don't get a ton of snow most years, especially not during a single event. I too have a bit more than 300 ft of gravel driveway (and about an acre of grass surrounded by trees - sounds like we live on the same lot :)). I don't use my tractor for snow. I have a ~28" walk behind snow blower and use it maybe once or twice per season. There have been years when I didn't use it at all. I just clear around the garage with a shovel since most of the time it's only a couple of inches and with gravel you have to set the shoes kinda high to avoid picking up too much stone so with a couple inches it's just not worth bothering. Often the compacted snow (from driving over) will have plenty of rock sticking out to maintain traction and it thaws or evaporates within a week or so anyways. There was one snow event of about a foot or so in early 2014 where I had somebody plow the driveway - mainly because we were out of town and I didn't want to deal with the snow on our return as it was too much to drive over and get the van to the house.
You'd probably be fine with the bucket and some skid shoes as posted above but you'll have to maneuver a lot to dump the bucket since even a thin layer adds up to a bucket full quickly. Depending on your grade and tire choice you might want to get some chains.
Not sure what side of town you're on but I highly recommend Roudebush Equipment in Westfield for any MF purchase around Indy. Talk to Bryan. Great no BS guy and very competent and the dealership is small and family operated. The prices are great too.
Btw I didn't get a deck for mine. I use an old rider for mowing and will probably get a zero turn when it dies rather than spending 2k+ on a deck and then having to switch deck and FEL/backhoe all the time.