PTO Seal

/ PTO Seal #1  

king1010

Tractor
Massey 230(1978)
MF 230 (1978) How hard is it to change out the pto seal? Oil is leaking around to pto. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ PTO Seal #2  
I am pretty sure the 230 MF woudl be the same type of PTO setup as my 135 would be. If so then it "shouldn't" be a major problem to fix your seal. I had to do this a few years ago on my tractor. Look at the PTO area at the back of the tractor. There should be a steel ring/bracket around the shaft that may have some holes drilled in it for supporting your lift arm anti-sway chains. This is also (if memory serves correctly) the same ring that holds your PTO shaft assembly in the tractor. When this ring/bracket is taken off the shaft assembly should slide right out. All that it is is a shaft that is splined to the insdie gears fo the tractor and it has a large bushing on it. I don't remember for sure if the seal is placed on the bushing on this shaft or if it is on the tractor itself. I'll check my tractor when I get home tonight to make sure this is the proper procedure but I am pretty sure it is, if it isn't then I'll post the proper way tomorrow.
P.S. If you ever go to change the hydraulic fluid (on the 135 you have to do this I'm not sure on a 230) you may also have to pull this shaft out to drain some fluid from this area since it is slightly lower than the drain plug.