Greetings from Scotland, land of ancient MF40b!

/ Greetings from Scotland, land of ancient MF40b! #1  

AlanSun

Tractor
MF40b
Hi,
I acquired a battered but working MF40b 2 years ago to help with building my house and landscaping. Had a few problems along the way, but overall a really useful machine. Now needs some restoration work. Current problem is with the o-ring seal on the hydraulic pump output repeatedly failing. Any help on this (or general encouragement) gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG_0773.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 137
   / Greetings from Scotland, land of ancient MF40b! #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Alan. We are glad that you joined with us here.

You can get any question answered here but, I can't help with that problem as I have never owned a MF.

/ Greetings from Scotland, land of ancient MF40b! #3  
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

:tractor: I'm going to move this thread on over to our Massey section.

/ Greetings from Scotland, land of ancient MF40b! #4  
G'day and welcome from Australia! Looks great, and a very useful and capable machine. :thumbsup: That would be a 4cyl Perkins, and can you tell us what transmission please? We also love pics - either just of various areas of your machine - or also whilst working - so please show us more! :laughing: I have an MF40 loader - 3cyl diesel and 6sp manual - I wish it was also equipped with a backhoe! Still very useful for what we do here at home. Always great to see them still working and earning their keep.

/ Greetings from Scotland, land of ancient MF40b! #5  
Welcome to TBN...enjoy.

/ Greetings from Scotland, land of ancient MF40b!
Hi Patrick, Its a 3 cyl, 6sp manual. There seem to be endless varieties of these machines - I think things were just bundled together in different combinations. Attached is a photo of it alongside a modern 20 tonner. Any ideas about my hydraulics problem? 2016-12-12%2010.40.45.jpg

/ Greetings from Scotland, land of ancient MF40b! #7  
Not being familiar is this seal with any type of rotating shaft? If so look at the shaft bearings.

If it is on a coupling look for wear/misalignment on the surface parts that come together or possibility of loosening of the connection.

/ Greetings from Scotland, land of ancient MF40b! #8  
Hi Alan, I'd be unable to suggest a cause without doing some research. Do you mean the seal on the pipe connection to the base fitting, or somewhere else? I walked down to look at the pump on mine ... I can't see a thing because I made a protection cover which bolts on in front of the pump and radiator, and can't see through it. It is 1/8" plate perforated with a honeycomb of 5/16" holes. There was nothing there when I bought the machine and it worried me having the radiator and pump completely unprotected - very reassuring to have it there. I can't find a clear photograph of it, so I'll try and remember to take one to post.
I'm also wondering if the pipe has an end fitting with the wrong diameter, or you're being supplied the incorrect O-rings. Are you sure it is the O-ring that's leaking ... maybe a crack in one of the fittings? What exactly do you have to disconnect to renew the leaking O-ring?
If yours is a 3cyl, it seems it is an MF40 like mine. TractorData shows the 40B has a 4D-203 of 59HP in both Industrial and Loader-Backhoe versions. That's what I used to identify mine - it no longer has an ID plate so I was in the dark. Also, what style of bonnet does yours have? Mine is the typical Industrial style - has no resemblance to 35, 65 or 100-series styling.

Here's a link to it - a very useful site:
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 4B backhoe-loader tractor photos information

Alan, would you mind doing a big favour for me by taking some detailed pics of the backhoe mounts for me? I've not seen one close up at a show day and am interested in how to mount the backhoe assembly to the frame rails under the rear axle, and the steady bars to prevent F-R tilt reaction - I believe they come forward at an angle to the holes beside the clutch and brake pedals. Can you also please include a shot of your loader controls so I can see where to tap off a supply hose? Many thanks in advance for your help Alan ..... the only other thing I would love to have here is your machine! :D