Parting out massey tractor?

/ Parting out massey tractor? #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
As my 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor continues to have problems I am considering parting it out. I have way more money in it than it is worth and to keep paying for repairs seems like throwing good money after bad. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

/ Parting out massey tractor? #2  
I've no experience with it but I doubt parting it out is a good idea. For starters, there's probably not "that" many 1531's near you which leads you to disassembling and shipping heavy parts. Another is, there not all lemons like yours so it could take a while, if at all, to make the money from parting it out that you could by simply selling it outright while it's running.

/ Parting out massey tractor?
You may have a valid point. In small town rural America everybody knows everybody. I can't think of anybody in a 40-50 mile radius that has a massey ferguson tractor newer than 20 years old, let alone a 1531. Massey ferguson are not that popular around here. As for selling it, it would be a hard sell to start with. Second, I couldn't in all honesty take somebody's money knowing the history and nautre of that tractor. May try an ag salvage yard, but checked with one I know and the don't want it.