Where would you put a tool box? (1705)

/ Where would you put a tool box? (1705) #11  
Pretty sure I am going to mount a steel one on top of my front bumper bar....that at least is my current thought...with the Hoe almost always attached I'm not too worried about weight distribution.

/ Where would you put a tool box? (1705)
So after have given this some thought I don't see a great place mount a tool box anywhere. Wishful thinking I guess with a small tractor. However I did come up with an idea that I think I will like. Im looking to carry a small flash light, screw driver, crescent wrench, and some pins for my attachments.
Irwin Industrial Tools 4:poop:45 Single Pocket Maintenance Pou

I went to this website to look at tool bags and holders that would be small enough to zip tie to the the ROP. I think I will go this route. They have lots to chose from. I may go with leather as I had a nylon bag that eventually didn't last that held a crescent wrench. I have about 3 or 4 in my cart to choose from. thinking I might get a tool holder and then a bag for the pins.

/ Where would you put a tool box? (1705) #13  
I have no need for one, as I am never (to date) more than a couple hundred feet from my garage. But it seems to me that the logical place to put on is on the hood. All you need is a bracket fitted to the hood shape, with a simple low profile open topped "box" on top to hold an actual box with a bungee cord to hold it in. Easy to get to, easy to remove when you need to open the hood, doesn't affect the COG (very little, anyways), what's not to like? Plus it looks very home-grown/utilitarian.

How do u like ur cab set up?? What is it and do you have a heater in there

I have no need for one, as I am never (to date) more than a couple hundred feet from my garage. But it seems to me that the logical place to put on is on the hood. All you need is a bracket fitted to the hood shape, with a simple low profile open topped "box" on top to hold an actual box with a bungee cord to hold it in. Easy to get to, easy to remove when you need to open the hood, doesn't affect the COG (very little, anyways), what's not to like? Plus it looks very home-grown/utilitarian.

/ Where would you put a tool box? (1705) #15  
You remember the old Honda motorcycles? You could darn near overhaul one on the side of the road with the tools in that rolled up tool box stashed in a tube somewhere under the seat by the battery.

There are a lot of places, FEL frame and / or arms comes to mind, to mount (heavy zip ties work well) a 2" or 3" diameter 8~12" long PVC pipe with a cap glued on the bottom (drill a small hole in this one to release vacuum/compression & moisture) and a removable cap on the top for a lid. Get a couple cloth nail aprons, put some tools in them and roll them up. Stuff em in the pipes with the strings peaking out from under the lid for easy retrieval.

/ Where would you put a tool box? (1705) #16  
How do u like ur cab set up?? What is it and do you have a heater in there

I do like the cab, it's a whole lot better than being out in the wind, like I was for the last 18 years... It's a Curtis. I am putting a heater in it right now.

I bought the tractor this past March and only used it for one storm. While the velcro attachment of the vinyl sides was in bad shape, even still it kept out most of the snow and wind. I am redoing that now as well, so between that and the heater I expect it to be fairly comfortable in there this year.

That said, I do have a complaint about the Curtis. It's ridiculously expensive for what you get. I considered buying a new tractor and I was quoted over $4000 for just the cab, not including the heater. And that is for the soft-sided one like I have - some kind of plastic-cloth around the cowl, flexible vinyl on the sides/back, and even the doors, while they have rigid frames and are well built, have a flexible vinyl as the "window". Just the heater was $400, parts only - I'm installing it.

When I saw ur tractor I search cabs for the 1705 and saw curtis and a few other manufacturers. I noticed the hard cabs were rather expensive and I don't believe they had air conditioning just a heater that you buy separately. I suppose there will be a winter where Ill think what the heck why don't I have a cab but for the most part indiana weather isn't that bad. We do get some cold winters and a little snow. I think the biggest accumulation we have had in the last 5 years is 10inches in one day.

I do like the cab, it's a whole lot better than being out in the wind, like I was for the last 18 years... It's a Curtis. I am putting a heater in it right now.

I bought the tractor this past March and only used it for one storm. While the velcro attachment of the vinyl sides was in bad shape, even still it kept out most of the snow and wind. I am redoing that now as well, so between that and the heater I expect it to be fairly comfortable in there this year.

That said, I do have a complaint about the Curtis. It's ridiculously expensive for what you get. I considered buying a new tractor and I was quoted over $4000 for just the cab, not including the heater. And that is for the soft-sided one like I have - some kind of plastic-cloth around the cowl, flexible vinyl on the sides/back, and even the doors, while they have rigid frames and are well built, have a flexible vinyl as the "window". Just the heater was $400, parts only - I'm installing it.

I like that thought of using pvc pipe. I will go this route since I have some in the pole barn.

You remember the old Honda motorcycles? You could darn near overhaul one on the side of the road with the tools in that rolled up tool box stashed in a tube somewhere under the seat by the battery.

There are a lot of places, FEL frame and / or arms comes to mind, to mount (heavy zip ties work well) a 2" or 3" diameter 8~12" long PVC pipe with a cap glued on the bottom (drill a small hole in this one to release vacuum/compression & moisture) and a removable cap on the top for a lid. Get a couple cloth nail aprons, put some tools in them and roll them up. Stuff em in the pipes with the strings peaking out from under the lid for easy retrieval.

/ Where would you put a tool box? (1705) #20  
I used the bracket for the SMV sign.
The box has been on there a couple years now and no problems.
The bracket on the tool box is a scrap L bend from some garage door parts...and I put a piece of angle iron inside the tool box.
I also added a pvc tube for my chains and a plywood scabbard for my chainsaw.

Attachments

• DSCN1224.JPG
    DSCN1224.JPG
    901.1 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCN1226.JPG
    DSCN1226.JPG
    908.6 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN1547.JPG
    DSCN1547.JPG
    898.2 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN1548.JPG
    DSCN1548.JPG