MF1020 Crank gear/ timing gears

/ MF1020 Crank gear/ timing gears #1  

charliechops

Tractor
MF 1020
Hi all,
New to the forum here. Fairly new to diesel engines, but I used to build and repair motorcycles. I just got a Massey Ferguson 1020 about a month or so ago. It has a 3 cyl CS-112 engine. Didn't get any history with it as I bought it at an auction. Clock says just over 200 hrs on it but I'm starting to doubt that the more I work on the tractor. It looks like it was refurbished/ repainted at some point. I needed to do some work to the hydraulic lines and cylinders on the loader before working it and got it finished the other day. I attached a box blade to the back and was just working the driveway for a couple hours. Nothing too strenuous. Everything was smooth until I was finished and driving it back to the shop to put it away. It died suddenly on the way there and would not start again.

I first suspected the fuel pump but after some investigating I found that the rocker arms weren't moving when I cranked the engine. Took the valve cover off and found 3 bent push rods and both supports for the rocker shaft were completely broken. Figured it had something to do with the timing gears. Took the timing cover off and found that the teeth on the crank gear had been turned to dust, and the idler gear and cam gear were damaged as well.

The only work I've done on it besides replacing the hoses and hydraulic cylinders on the loader is: change air filter, change engine oil and filter, change fuel pump oil, change fuel filter. I was going to replace the hydraulic fluid and filter after I got it back to the shop but I never made it there.

My first is has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening, and if so, what do you think caused this to happen? It looked pretty dry in the timing housing so maybe the oil inlet to that area is blocked?

My second question is has anyone ever tried to remove the crank gear without completely disassembling the engine?

Thanks for your time!

/ MF1020 Crank gear/ timing gears #2  
I own a MF 1010, but haven't had a similar problem. My biggest concern would be the availability of parts. These are older machines and parts aren't readily available. Before you start tearing into the machine, check to see if you can find the parts.

/ MF1020 Crank gear/ timing gears #3  
Southern global has some parts for these tractors.

They are hinomoto tractors with toyosha engines.

Never seen one do what you described. These little guys are almost indestructible.