Ballast GC1700 series ballast recomendations

/ GC1700 series ballast recomendations #1  

bartjoebob

Silver Member
Tractor
TBD
For the GC series machines with DL95 loader and no backhoe, how much rear ballast is recomended? I was thinking of filling a 55gal plastic barrel with 500lb or so of cement. Just not sure how much weight is ideal. Uses would be snow moving and occasional dirt piles/etc. The manual has no guidance on this other than to use ballast in general. Thanks in advance!

/ GC1700 series ballast recomendations #2  
Playing today cutting some wood getting it ready to split. I️ have beat juice (85 lbs per tire) and a 125 iron weight on the mower deck which works as an awesome filter protector in the woods and lowers when I️ do a filter change....works awesome! I’ll explain more later.... IMG_0001.JPGIMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG

/ GC1700 series ballast recomendations #3  
For the GC series machines with DL95 loader and no backhoe, how much rear ballast is recomended? I was thinking of filling a 55gal plastic barrel with 500lb or so of cement. Just not sure how much weight is ideal. Uses would be snow moving and occasional dirt piles/etc. The manual has no guidance on this other than to use ballast in general. Thanks in advance!

I have pretty much the 2012 equivalent of your tractor; GC2400. If I am doing something that I really feel I need ballast I use a used dirt scoop which by itself weighs 275 and I can thow any material in it to get it up to 400 - 500lbs. That is more than enough ballast for that tractor. Your barrel would work also.

Go out to Craigslist and search on dirt scoop, you could probably pick one up for around $100 - $150. I also like them for just hauling tools, wood, dirt etc.

Ballast or not... keep the your front loader scoop below the hood of the tractor, as low as possible really, and especially when turning.

/ GC1700 series ballast recomendations #4  
Exactly what's best for you depends on if you have the rear tires filled and your specific uses. Snow is lighter, so don't go overboard. 300-500 lbs is the range Id recommend. If you have filled rears, and are moving lighter things, you can get away with less. If your rear are not filled, and trying to maximize the bucket fill with heavy materials, go with more.

/ GC1700 series ballast recomendations #5  
Playing today cutting some wood getting it ready to split. I️ have beat juice (85 lbs per tire) and a 125 iron weight on the mower deck which works as an awesome filter protector in the woods and lowers when I️ do a filter change....works awesome! I値l explain more later....View attachment 530384View attachment 530385
View attachment 530386

Just so you know. You can cure that annoying I turning into a symbol by UPDATING THAT LAST APPLE UPDATE. Yea, they goofed.....

/ GC1700 series ballast recomendations #6  
Maybe you need a carry-all? Around $150 from TSC. Works well.

logs carry all.JPG

/ GC1700 series ballast recomendations #8  

I built a combination trailer mover and weight holder for the 3pt on my gc1715 so I can quickly change weight amounts.

I have my rears filled with w. W. Fluid and my 3pt can carry anywhere from 90 pounds (just the unit) and increase by 35 pounds per Steel cube up to 5 cubes. . . . All Steel - dense 5 inch cubes. I've never needed anything more even lifting Max loads with the fel or plowing big or small Wisconsin snows. Personally I don't like using concrete because I want the weight low (very low) and I don't want it movable in any direction. By doing it this way not only do I have excellent counterweight to either heavy or light fel loads, but it really helps on side hill issues which I certainly have. And by having it on the 3 pt. It's very adjustable if desired and behind the rear axle nicely but not hanging far out in the back . By the way, all my Steel cube weights I sprayed with rubber so sitting outside is a no rust situation.

/ GC1700 series ballast recomendations #9  
This was over doing it a bit a few days ago. A tree fell in the neighborhood and I fit just about all of it on one load......when you do this make sure you are never in 4x4 with that much weight on you front axle on pavement (or even on soft ground for that matter)...I use the shortest Titan forks and they are over a Piranaha Bar which actually adds some strength to the bucket as well...

The branches on the back are just resting on the log splitter.

When the hoe is on it's easy to max out the FEL.....when it's off I really try and watch what I pick-up or add ballast in the back like this picture....I run a little low on front pressure and use the sidewall flex as a way to measure FEL load....works fairly well...if you are squatting and the FEL hydraulics still have power to lift then you need more rear ballast.

IMG_3499.JPG

/ GC1700 series ballast recomendations #10  
I mainly use the bucket for hauling dirt or snow and have been putting around 450lbs of weight on the 3pt and have filled rear tires(about 90lbs worth of RV anti freeze per tire). Does this sound like it's about the right amount to reduce wear and tear on the front axle or overkill? IMO with the small bucket I just don't see how you can get enough dirt or snow in it to have to worry about overloading the front end. Stability wise the tractor is plenty stable with a full bucket using the current weight setup.