gc 1710

/ gc 1710 #1  

pobs

Tractor
Massey Ferguson gc 1710
i called around looking for a block heater for my gc1710 and they want $180. i can get block heater from napa for less. does anyone know the size of the frost plug? is thier a reason i shouldn't use a frost plug heater from napa?

/ gc 1710 #2  
I can't tell you, but maybe a dealer service department might know. Never hurts to ask anyway.

/ gc 1710 #3  
I ordered and received the block heater for my GC1720 in the late summer of 2016 expecting that they would be harder to come by when I needed it. The issue with the GC block heater is the void space behind the frost plug is very shallow and I guess it is hard to locate an aftermarket replacement that is as short.

The heating element just barely clears the collar that slides into the block. I would get a list of dealers outside of your area (colder climates) and call them on the phone. You may find that an out-of-area dealer has one in stock. You can purchase over the phone and have them ship it to you.

/ gc 1710 #4  
The GC block heater is the biggest rip off I can think of. At $60, it would be double what similar heaters cost.

There is no known alternative.

You either have to pay the ransom, or learn how to start your tractor without it. Yes, it is possible. No, it isn't going to hurt it.

My GC2310 has always started just fine, without one.

/ gc 1710 #5  
i called around looking for a block heater for my gc1710 and they want $180. i can get block heater from napa for less. does anyone know the size of the frost plug? is thier a reason i shouldn't use a frost plug heater from napa?

At least save $15-20 and get it here, I support this website with my business as they sell everything with the smallest (non-dealer) mark-up I have found.

Jacks Small Engines Search

/ gc 1710 #6  

At least save $15-20 and get it here, I support this website with my business as they sell everything with the smallest (non-dealer) mark-up I have found.

Jacks Small Engines Search

/ gc 1710 #7  
The GC block heater is the biggest rip off I can think of. At $60, it would be double what similar heaters cost.

There is no known alternative.

You either have to pay the ransom, or learn how to start your tractor without it. Yes, it is possible. No, it isn't going to hurt it.

My GC2310 has always started just fine, without one.
Thanks for the gouging agco. Everything you sell for parts, your shop labor etc is all a gouging/hold up in disguise brought to you courtesy of your friendly neighborhood agco dealer. It is what it is. I bought a heater for my allis Chalmers and it cost 40 dollars.

/ gc 1710 #8  

The size is 44 mm. I bought one, then found I already had one, the dealer hasn't sold a diesel without first installing a heater for over 30 years.

/ gc 1710 #9  
The reason M-F's heater is so expensive... I believe they're the only game in town (and they know it).

Theirs is a SPECIAL heater element that extends only about 1/4" into the coolant space in the block. Most others extend too far to be able to fit on that Iseki engine in a freeze plug hole because the space within the coolant area is so tight.

BTW, I had to replace mine a few months ago (after about 10 years) because it shorted internally -- Jack's Small Engines sold me this heater for $141.75 + shipping.