GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting #1  

2ndhalf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Gravely ZT HD 60, MF GC2400
I went out and started my tractor this morning and when I started it the RPM needle went all the way to the right past red and yellow and was bouncing like it wasn't working. The engine really didn't sound different and it was just idling but I shut it off after a minute or so just because I wasn't sure why it was doing that.

Anyone seen this? It was about 15 degrees and I've started it before when it was that cold; never had any trouble.

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting #2  
Sounds like a flaky tachometer to me. My FIL's JD3038e has a funky tach that sometimes stays at zero for an short time after startup and then suddenly starts working normally.

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting
Sounds like a flaky tachometer to me. My FIL's JD3038e has a funky tach that sometimes stays at zero for an short time after startup and then suddenly starts working normally.

Ok, I'll be going out tomorrow to try it and will just let it warm up and not worry. Maybe that is all it is. Thanks

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting #4  
I have a GC 2610 and have the same issue in the cold weather. I have disconnected mine for the winter, to avoid the squealing and jumpy tachometer needle.

Just my opinion, but I don't think running it with the tachometer needle jumping around and the cable squealing is a good idea.

Regards

Jim

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting #5  
Yeah, I'd have to say you got something funky going on that is probably related to the cold. Can't say I've had that problem cause mine won't start at 15 degrees and colder.

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting #6  
sounds like the grease in the tach cable housing is stiff from the cold weather, causing the drive cable to bind up.

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting #7  
Tachometer squeal and not working during cold weather is a fairly common problem with this era GC. Just disconnect it for the Winter. To disconnect, unscrew the cable from the rear of the tach, and place cable out of harms way. Reconnect in Spring, and it will work normally. Mine started doing it after ~4-5 Winters of use. Now, I just disconnect so not to tear up tack, cable or gears.

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting
Tachometer squeal and not working during cold weather is a fairly common problem with this era GC. Just disconnect it for the Winter. To disconnect, unscrew the cable from the rear of the tach, and place cable out of harms way. Reconnect in Spring, and it will work normally. Mine started doing it after ~4-5 Winters of use. Now, I just disconnect so not to tear up tack, cable or gears.

Great to hear it isn't something more serious. Thanks for the input folks... I will either heat it up in the garage or disconnect it before using it.

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting #9  
Mine is doing the same thing its -5 degrees here. Was trying out my new snowblower and I heard a bad squeeling noise. Thought it was my rear PTO making the racket because this is the first time I every used it since I bought the tractor in 2010.

Thanks for answering my question on 1) Leaving it like that and 2) How to disconnect it for the winter :)

/ GC2400 RPM guage pegged like at full throttle after starting #10  
I would disconnect it from the engine cover up the end if you take it off the tach, The cable is still turning