3-Point Hitch PTO Generator arrived today

/ PTO Generator arrived today #1  

GC1710

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey GC1710
I won’t get it setup until later this month. Planning on mounting it in a hitch plate and it will mount on my 3 point hitch receiver. I will build legs on the hitch plate.

Read a lot of info and decided on the IMD brand (which is all sourced from Italian made hardware). 10kw rated, with substantial ability for spikes (my geo heat pump).

Will update once I get it up and tested! IMG_3772.JPGIMG_3774.JPGIMG_3773.JPG

/ PTO Generator arrived today #2  
That is a nice looking generator. How's the unit itself mount, can't see any lugs or feet to mount a frame to...........Mike

/ PTO Generator arrived today
they are integrated into the frame, you can see it easier in this stock photo. The 3 point mount was an extra $350. I have enough steel bits to weld my own up for about free, except I'm going to make it fit into my 3 point hitch receiver. (Easier to explain once my mind gets it welded together)15kw.jpg

/ PTO Generator arrived today #4  
yup, I see now.
How many HP does it take to run it maxed out?......Mike

yup, I see now.
How many HP does it take to run it maxed out?......Mike

20hp....the old saying is 1kw per 2hp....I'll have to load it up and see how many amps the Massey can push....

/ PTO Generator arrived today #6  
NICE! I hope you like your pto genset as much as I like mine...

It's amazing how nice it runs my welder, and I can have some lights on and some one running a side grinder all at the same time...

SR

NICE! I hope you like your pto genset as much as I like mine...

It's amazing how nice it runs my welder, and I can have some lights on and some one running a side grinder all at the same time...

SR

Told the wife it was for emergency back-up power, which it is....however I have dreams of welding, cutting, and building something in the middle of the woods.....:thumbsup:

/ PTO Generator arrived today #8  
Another implement/accessory for GC1710! Hard to keep track of your adventures, this tractor seems like it really turned your life around! Seriously, I don't know anything about PTO generators and I have a question or two. What RPM does the generator spin at, 1800? I can understand using it in the woods to power a welder or other equipment but I知 not sure about home backup power during an extended outage of say a couple of days. Is your tractor going to like running at 2600RPM or so continuously? If you have the throttle set for 540 PTO RPM to achieve 60Hz generator output under no load and your heat pump kicks in, will the tractor engine slow down enough to drop the generator frequency too low? Almost seems like it would need a governor?

/ PTO Generator arrived today #9  
These generators have huge rotating inertia (i.e. potential energy storage). When a high start current device kicks in, a small change in rpm dumps power from the inertia into the load. On mine, it's barely detectable on either tractor engine (1 governed and 1 is not governed). This is especially true with this generator because its 1800 rpm meaning 4 poles and some heavy gears to crank 540 up to 1800 rpm. AND, I sure don't run my generator for the entire outage (hours or days). I start it up when we need water, heat, internet, and food.

The rest of the time it's on standby (as in stopped). Why would you run it all the time ? Seems like a foolish waste of fuel, wear are tear.

/ PTO Generator arrived today #10  
They most deff can run all the time though, they are Diesel engines, it’s what they are designed to do! I’m hopefully picking my Dayton pto generator up this Saturday, looks like you got yourself a nice a little setup too! I can’t wait to see how mine will do with a test on the house.