Worked on the Massey GC today

/ Worked on the Massey GC today #1  

Rocko

Silver Member
Tractor
MF GC1710
I had purchased a Massey GC block heater and a Wolverine 9.1-120V silicone pad heater.
The weather had warmed up for today, so I started the GC1710 and brought it into the garage.
Installation of the Block Heater and the Pad Heater went very well. I drained the antifreeze into a clean pan and reused it.
I installed the pad heater on the transmission case and routed the plug near the oil filter.
I also changed the engine oil and filter, I switched to Rotella T-6 5W-40.
I changed the air filter, cleaned the radiator screen and charged the battery too.
On the air cleaner inlet hose I installed a screen, .032 aluminum, drilled 1/4 inch holes attached it with a hose clamp, did this a couple years ago.
This is the first time a mouse got in since installing the screen....wonder if he got in the rubber valve...oh well.
It was nice to have some warm weather and get this stuff done. I use my Cub Cadet for snow duty, and use the loader on the GC when I run out of room.

Attachments

• 100_0902.JPG
    100_0902.JPG
    661 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_0899.JPG
    100_0899.JPG
    714.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_0903.JPG
    100_0903.JPG
    893 KB · Views: 203
   / Worked on the Massey GC today #2  
Well you had a good day! You still have your little rubber spikey things from being new! You need to get that out and move some dirt around : )

Worked on my GC today too. No pics yet. I am putting a snow pusher type blade (No hydraulics) just a straight blade on the bucket. I've had out in the barn for a few years. Decided to put it on the GC and see how well it pushes. It is about 80% done.

I don't have metal working tools so have to rely on my FILs drill press and my own creative craftmanship, brackets from TSC already built and what I have laying around the barn. It may require some trial and error; I'm no stranger to that : )

/ Worked on the Massey GC today
Good luck with the plow. I hope the weather in Ohio was as warm as it was in CT, mid 50' today for us.
I didn't notice the spikey things till you mentioned them....I got about 420 hours on my GC and got it in 2013, I'd bet most of my hours are from digging rocks and stumps with the BH.

/ Worked on the Massey GC today #4  
Good luck with the plow. I hope the weather in Ohio was as warm as it was in CT, mid 50' today for us.
I didn't notice the spikey things till you mentioned them....I got about 420 hours on my GC and got it in 2013, I'd bet most of my hours are from digging rocks and stumps with the BH.

Ha the weather in Ohio was 60 yesterday and 18 as I write with probably sub zero wind chill and snowing sideways : ) Its coming your way; get ready!

/ Worked on the Massey GC today #5  
Good idea adding that air inlet screen. Mice seem to instinctively find air filter homes

/ Worked on the Massey GC today #6  
Try putting some Bounce drier sheets in there. Mice seem to hate that stuff.

Campers swear by them for mouse control.

I had lots of mice damage the first winter I had my camper. And, never had one after that, using the Bounce sheets.

/ Worked on the Massey GC today
Going to the laundry room right now.....thanks for the tip.

/ Worked on the Massey GC today #8  
I'm thinking cable tie them in strategic places?

/ Worked on the Massey GC today #9  
Often things don't work out the way I had them planned; this one worked out so much better than I thought. I put a 72 inch blade on my GC2400 as a pusher. I knew that it would break traction before I could hurt my tractor and I was right. If she started to spin a little I just took a little less snow. It moved snow soooo much better than a bucket. I was moving piles well over 3 ft. I had to add about 400lbs with the dirt scoop and block before it really did well.

Here are some picks of my snow pusher. I have $180 in it. The plow is heavier than an ATV blade but not so heavy I can't lift it myself (110lbs or so). It is very well built but I have no idea what it came off of. It looks like it may be for a UTV; not sure. I tried to sell it and make some money but no one bought so I stuck on my tractor. I think I'm going to lose the pipe and just use hitch pins to attach the blade; not sure why I didn't think of that to begin with.

Plow $150 from CL
Brackets $17 TSC
Bolts $5 TSC
Pipe $9 from Lowes
Chain and load lock had in barn
Inner shaft from my jack stands had in the barn can still be used as jack stands.

Attachments

• IMG_20180113_140123 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180113_140123 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20180113_140131.jpg
    IMG_20180113_140131.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20180113_140144.jpg
    IMG_20180113_140144.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20180113_140906.jpg
    IMG_20180113_140906.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 161
   / Worked on the Massey GC today #10  
Often things don't work out the way I had them planned; this one worked out so much better than I thought. I put a 72 inch blade on my GC2400 as a pusher. I knew that it would break traction before I could hurt my tractor and I was right. If she started to spin a little I just took a little less snow. It moved snow soooo much better than a bucket. I was moving piles well over 3 ft. I had to add about 400lbs with the dirt scoop and block before it really did well.

Here are some picks of my snow pusher. I have $180 in it. The plow is heavier than an ATV blade but not so heavy I can't lift it myself (110lbs or so). It is very well built but I have no idea what it came off of. It looks like it may be for a UTV; not sure. I tried to sell it and make some money but no one bought so I stuck on my tractor. I think I'm going to lose the pipe and just use hitch pins to attach the blade; not sure why I didn't think of that to begin with.

Plow $150 from CL
Brackets $17 TSC
Bolts $5 TSC
Pipe $9 from Lowes
Chain and load lock had in barn
Inner shaft from my jack stands had in the barn can still be used as jack stands.

If you had turf tires, and enough weight on the back, you would be even more surprised.