GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
Hello,

Have a GC1705, and after some hydraulic leakage, slightly overfilled the hydraulic reservoir so the sight glass is entirely full. I think it's overfilled by half a quart or less.

Based on other posts, it seems like if it overfilled, it's more of a risk of it blowing out the top than causing damage to the tractor. Does this sound right, and is 1/2 qt overfill worth going and draining it down? Currently it's snowing hard and if safe, prefer to not drain it before clearing snow tomorrow.

Cheers!

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #2  
Personal opinion: a half a quart would be quick to drain out. Some will claim it won't make much of a difference but do you really want to "wonder" when you're using the tractoreach time?

A cheap "cooking baster" and a foot of cheap clear vinyl hose and it's fixed in 5 minutes or less. And peace of mind.

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #3  
Yes, your tractor isn't built so poorly that 16 ounces of extra oil in a sump that normally holds several gallons, is going to do it harm.

It isn't even going to blow it out. I would know, mine has been that way for over 12 years.

People have way over filled these in the past, without any harm.

Besides a factory defect in the early GC's, (which MF hasn't fully taken ownership of), their have been no issues with the transmissions.

When an oil level is extremely critical, it is designated with a fine line. And, set up so that you can clearly, and easily determine it. Neither is the case with these.

However, if you are going to have trouble sleeping over it, by all means you should remove the offending ounces immediately.

Last edited:
   / GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #4  
Install an overflow bottle on the overflow bottle. If that overflows, add an overflow bottle on the overflow bottle of the overflow bottle. If THAT overflows ....

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #5  
Most of us are aware that overfilling an engine crankcase can do harm, make a mess and cause the oil to entrain air thereby reducing film strength, interrupting reliable lubrication and potentially damaging engine seals. This occurs because the engine is full of reciprocating pistons, whirling camshafts, crankshafts and other fast moving parts that generate lots of heat and crankcase pressure. There are no such things going on in your transmission. Some gear systems might entrain some air if severely overfilled but I would not be concerned about a pint or two overfill.

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #6  
Most of us are aware that overfilling an engine crankcase can do harm, make a mess and cause the oil to entrain air thereby reducing film strength, interrupting reliable lubrication and potentially damaging engine seals. This occurs because the engine is full of reciprocating pistons, whirling camshafts, crankshafts and other fast moving parts that generate lots of heat and crankcase pressure. There are no such things going on in your transmission. Some gear systems might entrain some air if severely overfilled but I would not be concerned about a pint or two overfill.

I'm a little confused. The hydro system of a tractor is pressurized which is why there are hydro pumps and both transmission and implement feeds for that pressure.

If there was no pressure, the filler cap for hydro fluid would be merely a plug and not a screw on cap.

Also, unlike the engine oil which is also a pressurized system, the hydro has a site glass which makes it more visible for daily inspection - not less visible.

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #7  
I'm a little confused. The hydro system of a tractor is pressurized which is why there are hydro pumps and both transmission and implement feeds for that pressure.

If there was no pressure, the filler cap for hydro fluid would be merely a plug and not a screw on cap.

Also, unlike the engine oil which is also a pressurized system, the hydro has a site glass which makes it more visible for daily inspection - not less visible.

My MF (not a gc A bit bigger) has a rubber fill plug, with a breather tube right next to it - definitely not pressurized!

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #8  
I believe the two pumps just pump the fluid in and out as needed from the transmission reservoir. There maybe some pressure in the reservoir but there are relief valves somewhere and if the transmission reservoir was pressurized I dont think they would use a cheap plastic cap?

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #9  
The reservoir is not pressurised. It's like the pump on a cars power steering, the fluid is only pressurised when it goes through the pump and out to the cylinders. Otherwise there is no pressure in the system.

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #10  
The rear end housing is nothing more than a sump, as far as the hydraulic system is concerned.