Oil & Fuel MF1529 loses power after running

/ MF1529 loses power after running #1  

TugHillDog

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2645 Cab
I have a MF1529 I bought new a few years ago, pushing up on 800 hours now.

This winter while I was refueling during some heavy snowfall, the little black cap from my 5gal fuel can accidentally dropped in the fuel tank :(
Shortly thereafter, say a week or so, I noticed while out blowing snow, that the tractor suddenly lost power, rpm's dropped and it would hardly stay running. I'd tap the foot accelerator a few times and it seemed to make little difference. If I shut the tractor off and wait a short while, when I restarted, the fit seemed to be over and I would continue fine thereafter.

I blamed that cap for clogging the tank intake.

This spring it happened a couple times while mowing. I got fed up and drained the fuel out, found the danged cap and removed it, blessing the Lord for being able to retrieve the cap in one try. Replace fuel filter, replenished fuel, even remembered to bleed the air out of the filter housing. I knew I had fixed the trouble...until it happened again.

So this time, I quickly raised the hood and took off the side shield to see the separator filter and the fuel level is low...tractor stumbles when fuel gets below filter [for obvious reasons..its not drinking fuel anymore]. So now what? I replaced a leaky fuel pump last year. Should I be suspecting the fuel pump? Should I be suspecting something ELSE in the tank restricting flow? This is happening altogether too often to be overlooked.

I am looking for your guys to help bail me out!!

Last edited:
   / MF1529 loses power after running #2  

This winter while I was refueling during some heavy snowfall, the little black cap from my 5gal fuel can accidentally dropped in the fuel tank :(
Shortly thereafter, say a week or so, I noticed while out blowing snow, that the tractor suddenly lost power, rpm's dropped and it would hardly stay running. I'd tap the foot accelerator a few times and it seemed to make little difference. If I shut the tractor off and wait a short while, when I restarted, the fit seemed to be over and I would continue fine thereafter.

This spring it happened a couple times while mowing. I got fed up and drained the fuel out, found the danged cap and removed it, blessing the Lord for being able to retrieve the cap in one try. Replace fuel filter, replenished fuel, even remembered to bleed the air out of the filter housing. I knew I had fixed the trouble...until it happened again.

So this time, I quickly raised the hood and took off the side shield to see the separator filter and the fuel level is low...tractor stumbles when fuel gets below filter [for obvious reasons..its not drinking fuel anymore]. So now what? I replaced a leaky fuel pump last year. Should I be suspecting the fuel pump? Should I be suspecting something ELSE in the tank restricting flow? This is happening altogether too often to be overlooked.

Check your fuel line from the tank to the filter. On two different Massey compacts (MF1643 and MF1754), I had a problem with the fuel line. Both were cut too long and would kink after a couple of hours of running. Firewall insulation was also causing a problem on the MF1643. Not saying this is your problem, but worth checking out. Hope this helps.

/ MF1529 loses power after running #3  
I am having the same issue with my 1529 300 hours on it

/ MF1529 loses power after running #4  

As long as you did a GOOD JOB cleaning the tank and lines, fill that filter housing with Dex/Merc ATF. Pour the rest in the tank. Let her run a while and shut her off. Maybe put a heat lamp on the injection pump and take it off a few times a day.

Expansion and contraction will allow the ATF to get in the nooks and crannies to clean it out and loosen it up. Then run the fool out of it.

This is NOT recommended on tier IV engines.