Oil & Fuel 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule #1  

LeTempt

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5065E Cab and John Deere 316GR skid steer
Purchased a 2018 1742 and picked up the operators manual for the tractor the other day. The dealer ordered a 3rd function kit and block heater for me and they are going to deliver the tractor once they are installed, hopefully in a couple days.

Got confused when reading through the lubrication and maintenance charts in chapter 4. Let me give you an example with the engine oil and filter. In table 4.1.2 it tells you to change the engine oil and filter at 50 hours and then at 100 hours, no problem with that. Clearly they want you to change the engine oil and filter a couple times early on as the engine is getting broken in. Then if you go to table 4.1.1 it tells you to change the engine oil and filter at 200 hours and 500 hours. This makes no sense to me. If I were to try to make any sense of this It would sort of appear that once I hit 500 hours that the oil change interval is every 300 hours? The chart just goes to 500 hours. If they would just not have said to change the engine oil at 500 hours it would have been more clear and I would have said the oil change interval was every 200 or 300 hours after the initial 50 and 100 hour changes specified in 4.1.2. It does not say it is an interval chart, so you could easily say the engine oil and filter should be changed at 50, 100, 200, and 500 hours....with a 300 hour interval once you hit 500 hours.

Same question for the transmission/hydraulic fluid. Table 4.1.2 says to change the fluid and filter at 50 hours. Table 4.1.1 says to do it at 300 hours. Is that 300 + 50 or 300 total? Would make more sense if they said to replace it at 50 hours for the initial service and then XXX hours thereafter to avoid any confusion. It would even make more sense if everything was covered in 1 table that started at the first 50 hour service and went to say 3000 hours (longest service interval).

I will just probably simplify things and change the engine oil every 200 hours or annually and the transmission/hydraulic fluid every 300 hours. Sort of surprised they do not tell you to change the oil every XXX hours or annually like my JD 5065E. It would also be nice if the services would come due at the same time.

Any advice or assistance with clarifying this would be appreciated.

Jeff

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule #2  
Depends on what kind of oil you are running. I have a 1758 and had lots of hydraulic issues until I went to a full synthetic oil. Other people have also written about this. Full synthetic has a longer drain interval than regular oil. Test both your oil and trans at the first few changes. You need to know early if you have foreign or metal in the oil. I went to Rotela full synthetic on oil and chevron thf synthetic for trans. I now love the tractor.

The first service is at 50 hours and you need to do it. I was charged 700.00 for mine but I think you can get it done for less. I am at approx. 75 hrs and will change engine oil at 100 and sample both oils.

The samples will tell you more than going by an hour gauge. Hope it helps.

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule
Thanks Stormcom. I did not see anything in the operators manual that talked about different oil/fluid change intervals based on what type of oil/fluid was used.

Where did you purchase the chevron thf synthetic?

Thanks,
Jeff

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule #4  
call your local oil jobber. I bought mine from Haigood and Cambell in Wichita Falls. 9407237871. I can ship it if you need it. We found it from someone who tested all the oils. If it was not for that post, I would probably have a JD.

Chevron's phone is:
Lubetek
1 800 582-3835

Let me know if you need anything and I will help you get it. Also onionfmr posted on this also. In Alabama, you might check Western Distributing.

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule
Thank you very much!!

Jeff

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule #6  
Just an update. Synthetic THF is doing great. 103 on the Texas outside temp guage and absolutely no issues. I have reported this to Chevron and Massey. Massey is now selling semi-synthetic oil and is stopping dino oil according to the dealer. Just an fyi.

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule #7  
Depends on what kind of oil you are running. I have a 1758 and had lots of hydraulic issues until I went to a full synthetic oil. Other people have also written about this. Full synthetic has a longer drain interval than regular oil. Test both your oil and trans at the first few changes. You need to know early if you have foreign or metal in the oil. I went to Rotela full synthetic on oil and chevron thf synthetic for trans. I now love the tractor.

The first service is at 50 hours and you need to do it. I was charged 700.00 for mine but I think you can get it done for less. I am at approx. 75 hrs and will change engine oil at 100 and sample both oils.

The samples will tell you more than going by an hour gauge. Hope it helps.
Do you have a hydrostatic transmission?

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule #8  
Yes I do. I am at 180 hours and will pull oil samples this winter.

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule #9  
Bought this tractor used it’s a 1734E and has 380 hours on it the people I bought it from said their dad had just had it serviced but the oil was really black so I changed it with the filter and also a fuel filter. But was thinking about changing the hydraulic fluid and filter just in case it’s old because the transmission makes a whining noise when I press the pedal.

/ 1700 Premium Series Service Schedule #10  
Sjq,

Change all the fluids. You do not have a receipt for the service and do not know who did it. Take samples and send them for analysis. The whining may be why they sold it. Make sure you replace with a premium synthetic or at semi synthetic. You will then know it has been done and done properly. Would also talk to a couple of dealers about the whining. Mine whined until I put 40.00 a galon synthetic in. I used chevron. You can get it from most oil jobbers. You can read my earlier posts and the other people who it helped too. Powertrain is 5 yr. warranty. Massey also changed the quick couplers to a larger diameter which helped the loader.

Hope this helps.