Oil & Fuel Water in Transmission Oil

/ Water in Transmission Oil #1  

ByronL

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135 diesel
I've got an older MF135 diesel with a 6 speed transmission that I use minimally (4-6 times per year for a total of 25 operating hours per year). It is stored in the barn and has not seen any rain since I acquired it 3 years ago. All fluid systems are tight and no condensation in the fuel. I discovered the transmission level about a quart overfull and the fluid is milky. I thought I had a leaking transmission oil cooler but, after investigating, discovered there is no transmission oil cooler. I am stumped about source of water. Does anyone have any ideas? Is condensation in the combined transmission/hydraulic system an issue for older MF tractors? I have used the tractor only to pull a box blade and mow a little with a bush hog. No leakage from the hydraulic system or evidence of any overheating during operation.

I am also curious about how tolerant the MF135 unit is to operating with water in the transmission oil. Has anyone got any experience in this area that can advise how diligent I must be in keeping the transmission oil water-free?

/ Water in Transmission Oil #2  
I've got an older MF135 diesel with a 6 speed transmission that I use minimally (4-6 times per year for a total of 25 operating hours per year). It is stored in the barn and has not seen any rain since I acquired it 3 years ago. All fluid systems are tight and no condensation in the fuel. I discovered the transmission level about a quart overfull and the fluid is milky. I thought I had a leaking transmission oil cooler but, after investigating, discovered there is no transmission oil cooler. I am stumped about source of water. Does anyone have any ideas? Is condensation in the combined transmission/hydraulic system an issue for older MF tractors? I have used the tractor only to pull a box blade and mow a little with a bush hog. No leakage from the hydraulic system or evidence of any overheating during operation.

I am also curious about how tolerant the MF135 unit is to operating with water in the transmission oil. Has anyone got any experience in this area that can advise how diligent I must be in keeping the transmission oil water-free?
Gearlever rubberboots ?
When last did you wash the tractor ?

/ Water in Transmission Oil
Gearlever rubberboots ?
When last did you wash the tractor ?

Thanks for the quick response. I do not have gear lever boots on it but the tractor has not been operated in the rain since I have owned it and I have not washed it. (I haven't used it hard enough to get it very dirty yet.) I will get some rubber boots for the future, however. Thanks for the advice. Condensation is the only likely source I can think of but a quart of water in the few times I have used the tractor seems too much.

/ Water in Transmission Oil #4  
High humidity and increasing decreasing ambient temps will create condensation, good rubber boots will help.
Can you access the drain plugs before moving the tractor after it has set for quite awhile?
If so you can try to carefully and gingerly loosen the drain plug and let any separated water drip out,
of course it will be easy to go a half turn to much and then drop the plug while trying to get it started again creating quite a mess :D
Been there done both, usually I can get the water drained anymore I will usually try and just crack the drain plugs on gear boxes before I run any seasonal equipment quite often will get a few drips of water.
Some fluids will entrain water and not let it separate and drop out.

Thanks Lou. I'll give it some time to separate and see if I can keep from getting a 6 gal oil bath. If successful, I will plan to do this routinely before start-up after my usual extended rest times for the tractor. If the oil that I have in it keeps the water emulsified, is it safe to keep operating with the slightly milky fluid on this model tractor? A little bit of water goes a long way toward making it look bad. But, even if it is a whole quart of water, that is still less than 5% and if it is condensation there is no dirt. At 5%, lubricity should be OK. The only risk should be corrosion, I think, and that should not occur if the water is emulsified. But I don't want to destroy a good old tractor by my ignorance.

/ Water in Transmission Oil #6  
It's hard to say, I have seen some pretty milky fluids used for quite a while. I see that you are in NC if you parked it in the sun or applied an electric heat source to the tractor after it was used it might manage to evaporate some of the moisture, the oil can handle 180 degrees and at that temp it would dissipate the water after several hours. The milky oil is not good for it and up here I have seen it turn to slush in the winter and some ice balls which can cause problems.

/ Water in Transmission Oil #7  
High humidity and increasing decreasing ambient temps will create condensation, good rubber boots will help.
Can you access the drain plugs before moving the tractor after it has set for quite awhile?
If so you can try to carefully and gingerly loosen the drain plug and let any separated water drip out,
of course it will be easy to go a half turn to much and then drop the plug while trying to get it started again creating quite a mess :D
Been there done both, usually I can get the water drained anymore I will usually try and just crack the drain plugs on gear boxes before I run any seasonal equipment quite often will get a few drips of water.

That is what I used to do with my 135. Be careful about getting a lot of water as if it seeps into an enclosed area, I could freeze and bust something during winter.

/ Water in Transmission Oil #8  

That is what I used to do with my 135. Be careful about getting a lot of water as if it seeps into an enclosed area, I could freeze and bust something during winter.

/ Water in Transmission Oil #9  
Take a good shop vac and open a plug in the TOP of the trans... Have someone hold it TIGHT over the plug while you go to the bottom and let a little water/oil out the bottom...

A real GOOD vac will hold it all in if you get a decent seal on top...

SR

It's hard to say, I have seen some pretty milky fluids used for quite a while. I see that you are in NC if you parked it in the sun or applied an electric heat source to the tractor after it was used it might manage to evaporate some of the moisture, the oil can handle 180 degrees and at that temp it would dissipate the water after several hours. The milky oil is not good for it and up here I have seen it turn to slush in the winter and some ice balls which can cause problems.

Yup. Born and raised in north central PA which is why I retired to NC. Still get the seasons but a lot less winter - easier on my bones.