Massey 231 -- no smoking

/ Massey 231 -- no smoking #1  

PM1

Tractor
JD 5203 w/510 loader
I have a 1990 Massey 231 with a Perkins diesel (34 HP at PTO). I use it to mow several fields with a 6-foot Bush Hog. The fields have mostly weeds and hay (or other grasses), and the hay and grasses do get thick during the summer.

Occasionally when I'm mowing a thick area, the tractor starts slowing down and losing RPMs under the load. In some cases, if I don't finally step on the clutch, the engine will stall.

My local Massey dealer tells me a 231 should have more than enough power for a 6-foot Bush Hog and that it should never, ever stall even in thick grass. He also says I should see black smoke from the stack under heavy load if everything is working normally.

I don't ever see smoke under load, even when the tractor is slowing enough to stall. My dealer says I have a problem and should be concerned.

99% of the time, the tractor handles the 6-foot Bush Hog without a hiccup. It mows brush, small trees, and other areas fine - it's only in thick grass (not necessarily tall grass, but thick grass) that it sometimes slows down. Is that normal, or is my dealer right when he says I have a problem?

Thanks

Parker
npurdy506@yahoo.com

/ Massey 231 -- no smoking #2  
Your dealer is right, you have a problem. When it is pulling hard, it should be throwing more fuel to the engine. It is not. Sounds like a pump problem to me. Have you changed the fuel filter in a while?

/ Massey 231 -- no smoking #3  
For the most part your dealer is right, it should handle a 6ft. bushhog no problem. I have a 135 with the Z-145 engine, 38 PTO HP, which really won't be any different. I run a 6ft. bushog behind it and it doesn't have a problem but it does bog down that 1% of the ime in thick grass, I have a long drainage bottom area that the grass doesn't get much more then waist high but it is the thickest stuff I have ever seen. If I am in third gear low range it may bog down in this spot in which case I quickly drop to second gear and shift back to third later. Just for curiousity what gear are you mowing in? If you're in any high range gear you should go to low range for a slower ground speed. I have used a few diesels in the 135/235 and I think it is the same engine and they seemed to be powered just like my gas 135. Also what height are you cutting, if it is real thick stuff and you're cutting low that could do it but that doesn't sound quite right, usually on mine the bushog will not keep up before the tractor itself bogs down. You might also check your clutch adjustment on your tractor, the 1XX series with the multipower and two stage cluth would have the same problem if the clutch wasn't adjusted right, this may not apply to you becasue I don't know if the 231 would have had multipower on it but I am sure it has a two stage clutch. Could the bushog itself be the problem, are your bushog blades sharp, does your bushog have a clutch, if so is it out of adjustment, is it possible the grass is wet, do you have the front set much higher than the back? Always check the easy things first.

/ Massey 231 -- no smoking #5  
I too wonder in what range and gear you are working. I have new 451 (45PTO) with a 6ft brush hog and I rarely get it to bog the tractor. I usally mow in low range 4th or high range but my place is hilly and rough and I dont like to bounce.

/ Massey 231 -- no smoking
Thanks for the questions. I should have provided more information up front.

The blades are brand new (they have a 1/8" flat leading edge on the from Bush Hog, intentionally). I set the front of the bush hog about 1" below the rear, and I'm cutting about 3 - 4 inches high in the fields. I typically mow in 3rd gear in the low transmission range (i.e., 3rd gear out of 8 total). I can drop to 2nd or 1st and usually make it through, but it makes for tough mowing to keep changing gears in the thick spots. I usually mow when the grass is dry.

The fuel filter should have been replaced during the last service about 75 hours ago, but I can't swear to it. I've checked the fuel line out of the tank for blockage, but it's clear and free-flowing.

Thanks.

Parker
npurdy506@yahoo.com

/ Massey 231 -- no smoking #8  
I agree with Jerry G change the fuel fillter and if it still has no power i'd say the governer in the injection pump is not working,if it lugs to the point of stalling it sould blow lots of black smoke,meaning the pump is sending max fuel to the engine to matain rpms.

/ Massey 231 -- no smoking #9  
Hey,

I was watching a man bush hog a field the other day. It was a little wet. He was on my uncle's 231 Massey Ferguson with 703 hours that he purchased new between 95' and 97'. The cutter was an Andy 500 6ft. Blades got sharpened just before he cut the field. He cut it low as the cutter would go in thick grass(we used the grass to bale hay). I couldn't believe what I saw /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. We were both VERY disapointed. He had to cut the whole field in low range 1st gear and the throttle wide open. Tractor STILL choked COMPLETELY down in spots quite a few times. Luckily he was able to press the clutch before the engine died. No black smoke came out at any time.

I have always heard good about Massey Ferguson /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I was told that they have about the best hydraulic system in the business. That could have been an opinion though. I mean I like the 231, but for a 45hp and from what I saw, it ain't something I would buy, but that is my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Could there be a problem with this tractor?

Travis R