Massey 230 disel couple questions

/ Massey 230 disel couple questions #1  

Pkugler

I just inherited this tractor from dad, it has 930 hours and in in good shape for the most part. Only having a couple problems with it and hope you may be able to offer advice.
1st. there are two cotter pins bottom of engine that seem to be dripping oil, which oil would this be, and why cotter pins? How would one go about fixing this>(note he said they started to leak about 50 hours or so ago)
2nd. there is a single wire that runs to the fuel gauge "floater", which does have a 12 volt current going to it, yet gauge always reads full? I have taken floater out..seems to be ok. any advice?
Ps Got the tractor but not the manual(still need to order one)
pss also how well should this machine do for snow blowing?

many thanks
pat

/ Massey 230 disel couple questions #2  
Pkugler, Welcome to TBN and welcome to tractorhood??
Well sounds like to me you have a rear main seal leak in the engine ,I think the cotter pins are there to keep the seep holes from getting glogged up with dirt or crud.Depending on how much leakage your getting (put a pan under it and see how much is coming out after its been running for awhile)that would help for me to decided,because you may know you have to split the tractor to get the rear main seal...
As far as the fuel gauge goes it could be a bad ground or a bad sending unit ,If you can get it out and have an OHM meter, set it to resistance and hold one lead to a ground with the sending units ground touching the same ground then the other lead to the sending units contact and move the float up and down if the OHMS change with the movement the float is ok. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Check wiring and grounds (fuses)? Good Luck

/ Massey 230 disel couple questions #3  
Remove the wire from the tank sending unit,ground it to the tank,the gage should move to empty if not ground it to the bat. If it doesn't move in either case its a bad gage,if it moves in the second its a bad tank ground.

don't worry,nothings going to be alrite