compact tractors vs Regular Tractors

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors #1  

glover

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 165 and CASEIH JXU90
personbally i do not really like compact becasue there is not much u can pull with them but they are good for hobbiest and i was just wondering if anyone had an imput i have a massey 165

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors #2  
It depends on what you want to do, the MF 165 is a bit big to run a finish mower to mow yu yard but to run a bushog to mow 10 or 20 acres it's be right at home.
I wouldn't say compacts are only for hobbyists, there are alot of people that make alot of money with a 25-35 horsepower 4wd compact tractor. While my needs require a tractor like what you have my neighbor has a little JD 850 4wd with a loader and I use it often to do small jobs where I can't get a bigger tractor, ie: in the yard, in tight places of the barn etc.

Just like every tool in you toolbox, each has it's own use, it's own strengths and weaknesses, and some are handy for just about anything.

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors #3  
Robert,
I sure don't use my compact as a hobby. I use it on a poultry farm (90,000 chickens). I chose it because of the size, design and convenience.
As far as your MF 165, it is a larger version of one of the most popular tractor ever built (MF 135). It is a strong, durable and simple design.

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors #4  
Hey Jerry,,

I second that one. I know alot of poultry farmers up here who buy compacts just for cleaning out poultry barns after their quota was shipped out. They work great, and when you are done cleaning the barn, you can use it to re-bed the barn with fresh shavings, and still cut the grass afterwards, or whatever!! I think compacts ( or scuts ) have their place on every farm!!

Take care

Will

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors
yes they do have their place on the farm i was just wondeirng how much would a like 30HP compact have in PTO horse power

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors #6  
Most tractors like the 135 and 165 are rated on PTO horsepower but there are a few companies that rate the HP at the engine. Massey tends to rate their tractors at the PTO. There is about a 2 HP loss from the engine to the PTO in the small tractors.

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors #7  
"personbally i do not really like compact becasue there is not much u can pull with them "

I have a MF 65 w/ Perkins diesal.

I'd say kick a few tires.. try one out..

My closest 2 neighbor's are dairy farmers.. whether it's a skidsteer or 100+ hp Ford.. when they've gotten stuck.. they come get me & my TC35D w/ 4wd to pull them out.

I also pull an old McCormick International 520 moldboard plow w/ no problems.

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors #8  
<font color="blue"> old Ferguson International 2-20 moldboard plow </font>
Is the 2-20 a mistype?

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors #9  
There are some other uses for compacts on farms, throw a loader on your 165 and a 4wd compact and send them out in a muddy spot to move some bales around. I know I hate having to do anything in a 2wd tractor when it is muddy or snowy out.

Last weekend the 4wd we use (not a compact, a 52 hp International) was not running due to some fuel troubles so I called the neighbour to help pull some logs out of the woods. He has the sister to our tractor, the 2wd version.

We tried for 30 min to get that rig up the road to where the logs are. No can do, the little bit of snow made it impossible.

We retired and grabbed the saws and did more cutting instead.

/ compact tractors vs Regular Tractors #10  
I think the whole line was.. it must be Monday.. I'm thinking one thing.. typing another..

McCormick International 520 Moldboard Plow

I fixed it..