trans/hydraulic fluid

/ trans/hydraulic fluid #1  

Syncro

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1532, Kubota B-26 TLB
I'm getting ready to change trans/hydraulic and also power steerring fluid on my geared 1240. The manual calls for MF Permatran III or it says a substitue is SAE 80 GL-4. Now to me that sounds like pretty heavy oil for the hydraulics and PS. I was going to get a cross over from NAPA as the closest MF dealer is 50 mi away, anybody ever do this? I wonder if NAPA has the same oil under their brand? Or would plain 'ol SAE 80 be fine? Same goes with filters, gonna try and get a NAPA cross over. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated

/ trans/hydraulic fluid #2  
I believe that they are still referring to regular hydraulic oil, which isn't to heavy. I checked at NAPA and they sell Valvoline hydraulic oil that says it can be used were Permatran III is used. It actually costs about five dollars more at NAPA than my Masseyu Dealer will sell it to me for. Also, I've had no luck with NAPA being able to cross the Hydro filter, but they could cross my oil filter, again it cost more at NAPA than at MF

/ trans/hydraulic fluid
Thanks for the reply Rob. I also talked to my local NAPA guy and saw that they had a big display of 5 gal plastic cans of 'Tractor transmission/hydraulic' oil. I didn't notice the Valvolene name, but it did clearly say in big print that it matched the specs for MF Permatran III, so I'd say that it should be OK, I mean if the specs are the same and its sold by a reputable outfit like NAPA then it must be OK. Wouldn't you say?

As for filters, he just looked up my year and model and ordered them. I should have them tomorrow, right now I'm really inclined to use their oil and filters. I have a little down time before I start really working the tractor again and want to get a fresh oil change.

/ trans/hydraulic fluid
Update on my oil change. I wound up using the NAPA oil which turns out to be mfd by Valvoline after all. ($37 for 5 gals) The specs were impressive and clearly states on the cans that it exceeds MF Permatran. I felt comfortable using it especially after the counter guy said they sell it by the pallet to local const and ag users.

BTW, I'm changing the trans oil as I bought this tractor used with 150 hrs on the clock and am not sure if the 50 hr change had been made. However after examining the screen I could not see and metal shavings, just a couple very small. Actually the screen looked brand new. There was no evidence of it ever being removed though, the paint around the retaining nut was not disturbed, so who really knows. This machine was never worked very hard, so that may be why. Thats gonna change now though as I have a full agenda for the little Massey, so I feel better that it has fresh oil.

NAPA also has a great supply of MF filters.

/ trans/hydraulic fluid #6  
HI Syncro,
I have been using that stuff from NAPA that you mentioned in your post for the past 1 1/2 years in my geared MF 1040, with no problems. Seems to run everything fine including the hydraulics!

scotty

/ trans/hydraulic fluid
<font color="blue"> Seems to run everything fine including the hydraulics!
</font>
Roger that Scott! I was pretty satisfied with the specs.

For anybody wanting to use hydro filters other than MF here are a few cross numbers:
NAPA #7110
MF #3703386 M1
WIX #557110

I also found out that the hydro filter I replaced from NAPA was also made by WIX, as was the MF factory filter I took off, so other than the logo they were all three the same. Price was ~$22, kinda pricey and probably as much as one from MF, except the MF dealer is 50 mi away.

BTW, the hydraulics worked as soon as the engine was fired up, no air in the lines or bleading required.

/ trans/hydraulic fluid #8  
Syncro, $22 for the hydraulic filter? I would gladly pay that. I wonder if its the same as the one I need for my 1433, reason is I think I paid close to $50 for my hydraulic filter from the dealer /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Anybody know if its the same filter?

/ trans/hydraulic fluid #9  
SAE 80 GL-4 is the SAE designation assigned to universal hydraulic oil which is roughly a 20 wieght oil. If you look at anyone's the Universal Hyd Oil container it will say GL-4 on it (usually in fine print). SAE 80 GL-4 is very different than 80W or 80W90 oil. Don't confuse the two or it could get very pricey /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ trans/hydraulic fluid
Wow, $50 does seem a bit much. I don't know if the 1433 uses the same filter, but there is a good chance it does. Look at my previous post, I put the numbers that were on the MF filter along with the cross reference to both NAPA and WIX. Any NAPA parts guy should be able to look it up anyways, it took my local guy just a few seconds to find it for me. Then too though, I live in an agricultural community so he was familier with tractors.

I also posted a pic of a hand operated oil pump in the 'Fuel and lube' heading, check it out as its a very easy way to get oil from a can into your transmission without trying to use a funnel.