MF220 Slow Loader

/ MF220 Slow Loader #1  

Mike52

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 220 Compact Diesel
I was just about resigned to the fact that the loader on my 220 was normally a tad slow. 'Up/down' seems adequate (barely) but 'dump/return' is so slow I could grow a beard by the time it cycles.

Saw a post a few mins ago (about the MF 50 Loader) that said that the tractor hydraulics weren't fast enough to push a loader. Mine too, is running off of the tractor hydraulics. I was wondering....
1) is that true? are the MF 220 hydraulics are a little small to run a loader. Seems to run the 3pt just fine (although that diverter valve to switch it from the loader is a pain...It always seems to be in the wrong position when I reach for the wrong control)
2) is there a better alternative? I had an IH 424 once that had a pump mounted on a front PTO with a big reservoir. The cycle time on that setup was pretty fast. I don't think there's a front PTO available on my 220 and I don't want to put a pump on the back...any other methods for the 220?

I know diddly-squat about hydraulics so feel free to point out even the most commonly known alternatives.

filters are clean and its full of oil (JD Hygard)....

thanks,

/ MF220 Slow Loader #2  
Mike,
Do you know what the diameter of the cylinders are?

/ MF220 Slow Loader
again...I don't know diddly about hydraulics but the measurements appear to be:

cyl length: 20"
cyl outside diam: 2 1/2"
piston outside diam: 1 3/8"

these are approximate. I don't have a set of calipers, its raining outside, and I eyeballed them using a tape measure...(at least I wore my glasses!)

/ MF220 Slow Loader #4  
Mike,
The reason that I ask what the size the cylinders were because that might give a clue to the problem. If the OD of the cylinders are 2.5", they may be to large for the size of pump that the tractor has. I would say that they are more than likely 2" ID. That would be pretty big for a very low flow pump. This is all just my thoughts because I don't know the pump flow of your tractor or the exact cylinder size. The larger the cylinder, the slower that it will raise, but they will lift more.

/ MF220 Slow Loader #5  
If there is a seperate loader valve, take the line off between the bucket cylinders and and valve and make sure there is not a filter disc installed in the valve. If its a MF loader, there used to be one in the in the lift circuit. Someone could have accidently installed it in the bucket circuit.

/ MF220 Slow Loader
Gents:

Good information from all...
Thanks again to all of youse guys (as we say in Philadelphia).
TBN-ers have come through again.

The hoses and piping for the loader cylinders look pretty ratty. I've been planning to replace all of it with new stuff this winter (when I have a little time???). I'll check for proper hookup and misplaced filters. Hopefully, a refurb will improve things a little. If not, I'll be posting again for ideas on hooking the loader up to something other than the tractor hydraulics.

I'll also go thru the manuals and see if I can get a better idea of the pump and cylinder specs....

Can anyone suggest a website that supplies a good tutorial on tractor hydraulics? Its always helpful to "RTFM"....of course, I mean Read The FACTORY Manual....hmmm?