MF 431 new with implements

/ MF 431 new with implements #1  

davidki

First time poster for me here, hopefully this is all in line. So, here goes. We are located about 20 miles East of Nashville Tennessee.

We have a total of 24 Acres, with probably 16 of them need attention, (bush hogging, finish mowing, moving dirt and clean up and a long drive way) so, I am in the market for a tractor set up.

I just had a friend of mine tell me a deal he just purchased and to me, it looks great, even compared to the JD's and Kabotas from the same area.

The deal is the MF 431 with both the factory hydraulics 3pt, and the factory installed hydraulics for the FEL, a 6' MF bush hog (mid range unit, 1005) 6' box scraper and a 16' trailer for a total combo price of $16,800 No Tax. If I want the factory FEL I would have to pay an additional 3200 but I can add that at anytime since the factory hydraulics are already on the tractor. (I could get it for $1000 less if I did not get the hydraulics).

The 431 is a basic 2 wheel drive, 8x4 gear drive, nothing fancy with 52hp but for what I need it for I think it will work, and looking at the total package at $20,000 out the door it does sound like a good deal..

Any comments. This is all brand new equipment!

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dave

/ MF 431 new with implements #2  
David Hi and welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That sounds like a good deal to me on a great tractor /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif 24 acres sounds like a good fit for a tractor that size, A large compact would also work but would cost more(probably). I would also get the loader now if I could swing it. The price on it might go up before your ready for it then it ends up being more than you thought.. If your financing it won't be much more depending on down payment and MFG. incentives. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I must admit I'm not the most qualified to give advice on this size tractor. Though in some research finding the perkins powered tractors have a reliability factor of the highest caliber, fancy words for a good engine... I wish I had more property to play on my tractors more often /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ MF 431 new with implements #3  
Hello fron W Tn. Sounds like a good deal on a good tractor. Get the fel upfront if at all possible - it will be your favorite implement. Check and see if MF has no $ financing for 3 yrs on the 431.

/ MF 431 new with implements #4  
Sir,

I'm not too far from you -(you must be around Lebanon, or Mt Juliet?). Anyway, I have a MF471, which is in the same general 'family'... The 431 is to my estimation the updated version of the highly successful 35 -> 135 tractors...
The greatest strength is the engine - you won't regret getting a perkins.

Deo Vindice!
SM

/ MF 431 new with implements #5  
Buy it I have the 451 a 2003 model and this tractor is stout beyound my wildest dreams. These are not fancy tractors but they are very good at what you use them for I can already envision a 471 4wd with loader and a 5400 series with cab on my poultry and beef farm. I will also add that in my lifetime my 451 will never be sold.

/ MF 431 new with implements
Wow, thanks for the excellent responses, and yes, we are in Lebanon, where are you located? I was concerned about the package price of the tractor and implements, seemed to good to be true, our friend has dealt with this dealer. I am surprised that there are no MF dealers in Nashville, but a little drive never hurts I guess, but Service concerns me!

Yes, I am going to try to get the complete set up including the FEL, probably after the frist of the year. I have read some posts saying the Perkins is a Noisey engine, but I guess that is all releitive

I think my friend suggested the 431 because of it's basic features, not much to go wrong and were not dealing with a lot of land area. I guess to see this tractor I will have to take a drive to see what it looks like and work on the package price a little more..

I started to look at JD and Kabota, both nice tractors but it seems like they both get alot more money and it would be there 33 HP version 4wd, HST and all the bells an whistles, but my friend just bush hogged our land and he said the 52hp is much needed, he used his MF 75hp tractor and he said he was concerned in a few spots.

I don't know if my email will show up davidki@yahoo.com but if you would like to contact me at my direct address would be ok with me..

/ MF 431 new with implements #7  
I think you were responding to SouthernMan, But your welcome any how /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ MF 431 new with implements #8  
<font color="blue"> I am surprised that there are no MF dealers in Nashville, but a little drive never hurts I guess, but Service concerns me! </font>

Not in Nashville per se, but a couple in the area. Have been looking at MF as well would be glad to share notes. Just PM.

Perhaps one reason Perkins engines have developed a reputation for reliability is the fact that they are owned by Caterpillar.

Rich

/ MF 431 new with implements #9  
Hey,

Caterpillar bought Perkins from MF back in 1999. ( For there genious in the small diesel market!! ) Before this they were owned by MF, I believe they bought them in 1959. I think the legendary toughness was carved out by the little legend, The 3.152, and the rest of Perkins followed the lead!!

Take care,

Will