GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #1  

CarlGlas

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MF GC2300
I recently purchased what I was under the impression was a 2005 GC2300. I was even told that it was a 2005 after asking.

Later, upon visiting the MF web site I discovered that their advertised, "New for 2005" GC2300 had standard features not found on the one I had just purchased, i.e. tachometer, cruise control, right ported exhaust, and relocation of warning lights.

A return visit to the dealer only added to my displeasure because I was advised that there really aren't year models
per se, but production models. I was told that a certain model tractor will stay the same for years and then change. I replied that is similar with automobiles, but they are sold, as was this tractor, by year model and production model.

I thought I was buying a 2005 GC2300. Year model/Production model?

Besides, what manufacturer of anything, is going to change model production during the year?

The owner of the dealership showed me an invoice stating that they had received the tractor in 02/05, in what I suppose was an attempt to prove that it was indeed a 2005 year model tractor. Of course my rebuttal was that this didn't necessarily mean that the tractor was a 2005 year model. (One thing that I did find out through conversing with the dealer was that their tractors are received on free consignment for nine months. If the tractor hasn't sold within that time, the dealer has to start making payments.)

Having a feeling that I probably wouldn't be told what I wanted to hear, before going to the dealership I contacted the MF serial number department in hopes of running the serial number to get the date of manufacture and to ascertain exactly what year model it was. Unfortunately, the person I spoke with advised me that they didn't release that information to the general public and that I would have to go through a dealer if I wanted any further information.

When I was shopping I told the dealer that I wanted a tractor that hadn't been setting on the lot, in the weather and when I went to finalize the transaction I pointed to an unassembled one in a create and said that is the one I want. When I went to pick it up a few days later, not seeing the one in the create I presumed that was the one I had gotten.

Now, after hearing the above information and then being presented with an invoice showing a delivery date of 02/05, I can only surmise that I was given the one that had been setting on the lot. Perhaps I am just nitpicking here, and certainly showing my ignorance about buying tractors, but I was just wondering if anyone reading this has ever experienced something like this, and if so, how was it satisfied?

Naturally I am only wanting what I paid for, so if you have the time and want to educate me, I'm all eyes.

Oh, and by the way, I know where the courthouse is. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #2  
Welcome to the forum CarlGlas. I'm no expert so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Also, even though I have a GC2300, I don't imagine your question is necessarily brand-specific.

I would guess a lot of your proverbial leg to stand on depends on what's in writing, moreso than what you were told. Reviewing my invoice, there's no mention of model year, production year, or whathaveyou.

Perhaps your circumstances were different, but I went to the dealer, inspected and drove the tractor. In fact, they brought it to my place for the weekend for me to try. I knew what I was buying. I also knew it had sat outside, as most of their inventory does (and many people's tractors do). But, I understand your concern; my tractor is in the garage.

For me, the GC2300 was a means to an end, sort of. By that I mean I bought it to do several jobs. I needed a tractor first and foremost to keep us cleared out in the winter. I needed something to ensure that we could get out or that emergency vehicles could get in if necessary. I needed something to mow our (especially at that time) sizeable lawn. I wanted a tractor for miscellaneous other tasks: tilling the garden, roughing out some trails, hauling brush, dirtwork, etc. When buying new, I wanted something with little to no hours and a warranty. Only you can decide the importance of the '05 models, relative to earlier years. For me, those things you mentioned are not nearly as important as the ability of the tractor to do the work I need done. Many a time, I've been so grateful to have that tractor!

In short, if you were lied to, I'd be looking to the dealer to make it right, or find another dealer. Many on here say, and I'd have to agree, that when you buy a tractor, you buy a dealer too. It's important that you feel respected, but I think that's a two-way street. If it was "assumptions" that led to this situation...well, you know what they say about "assume". Is it worth going to court over? I would say that depends on your paperwork.

I've pretty much just rambled. I don't mean to be unsympathetic, I'm just kind of thinking out loud. I know there are some dealers on the board so they may be able to shed better light on this. I suggest keeping short-term and long-term in perspecitve. Good luck!

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #3  
Your dealer told you right, there isn't years model like there are for cars. When you go to get parts for tractors they never ask you the year model, but they do ask you the serial number. When something is changed on a model it starts with a different serial number.

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #4  
Tractor year models are determined by the date of sale, they are not recognized by production like automobiles. Tractors of all brands can be warehoused by the manufacturer for a short time and then shipped to a dealer pending their order. It can result in a tractor that was produced in 2004 being shipped to a dealer in 2005. When there are changes to a product such as that, there are price breaks between the two versions (i.e. new features cost more).

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #5  
Our 2310 is the same way - bought in spring/summer of 2005 - i think it may be a 2005 on the sales receipt - but still a 2004 model no tach, ect. They aren't the same as buying a car or truck.

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #6  
I would not be concerned over the date of manufacture. Tractors do not have a shelf life (unlikjemeat, fruits, chemicals, etc....) A new trator built in 2004 is still a new tractor if it is sold in 2005.

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model
Thank you for your welcome to the forum. I have been reading the various posts for a while now and have found this list to be a very valuable source of information.

Regarding my learning process about buying tractors, I thank you for taking the time to share your insight on the subject.

Although I have more to write, I don't want to burden anyone anymore that I already have with the previously written issue.

While I may not be satisfied with the current situation, I would like to state that so far I have been pleased with the performance of the GC2300 and believe that with proper care it should give its user many years of service.

Many Thanks
CarlGlas, 32

While a specific year model of a tractor may not be an important issue, apparently is to both my bank and insurance company or they wouldn't have asked for it.

Maybe it has something to do with depreciation and value.

Thanks
CarlGlas

This I understand and don’t have a problem with. Had I been told that I was buying anything other than a 2005 year model tractor or attempted to negotiate a price other than their asking price, there wouldn’t be a issue.

Whether or not my lack of knowledge of tractors was taken advantage of, or just a case of me not doing enough homework, there's a principle here. Intentionally or not, I was misled to believe that I was buying a 2005 year model tractor because the dealer knew that sale wouldn't have taken place.

Thanks
CarlGlas

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #10  
If I were buying a "new" tractor, I would want to have one with the latest features. This would of course imply a later build date. My 2300 is over a year old and I would like to have the tach and side exhaust port. I also noticed a recent delivery of 2300s at my dealer where the front was more like the larger MFs (flattened front end).

So I would say that "new" may not be the same as unused, although when it comes to tractors, it appears some people see it that way. If a tractor has been "weathered" on the lot and a newer version has come along, I would certainly think there would be some dealing room. Also if a tractor doesn't have the latest features, I would certainly expect the dealer to mention it or I would feel at a later time, if I didn't know the features of the latest build, that someone did, or was trying to, take advantage of me.