What is "Multi-power"?

/ What is "Multi-power"? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
What is \"Multi-power\"?

Years ago I ran a 175 Massey working in apple orchards, all I remember is that in low it would freewheel, while in high it would take off under load no matter what the throttle setting.
Life got rather interesting one rainy day when I stepped on the brake and she took off against the governor... I put it into a power slide to make a 90degree turn and keep from going into the trees. Ahhh, Youth!!!

Anyways I've seen it mentioned several times here, but didn't want to hijack the thread.

/ What is "Multi-power"? #2  
Re: What is \"Multi-power\"?

Multi-power transmission was available as an option for ag tractors from the early 60s on the MF 35, 65, 135, 165, 175 etc. and on up. It was a "shift-on-the-go" transmission doubling the available speeds on the standard 6 speed (12 forward, 4 reverse instead of 6 forward, 2 reverse) by adding a hydraulic planetary gear set on the output of the transmission. On hills you had to use high range because the tractor would "freewheel" in low going downhill, however it would prevent rollback while in high range with the clutch depressed in the first stage only. In low range the transmission worked like a normal 6 speed, high range increased the speed about 30%. For example, in low range road gear the maximum tractor speed would be about 15 mph, in high range the speed would be about 20 mph. As the tractor aged nearly all MP equipped tractors needed to have the Multi-power repaired. The standard 8 speed transmission gradually replaced Multi-Power.

/ What is "Multi-power"? #3  

Don't leave out my ex MF-50.

/ What is "Multi-power"? #4  

Hey,

Excellent explanation! It is also reffered to as a 2 speed powershift!!

Take care,

Will

/ What is "Multi-power"? #5  

Sorry Tom, I forgot the MF 50. I think there were a few other models as well.

/ What is "Multi-power"?

Thanks for the explanation. As I said it was years ago, but reading about the multipower got me thinking, and it's something which if I hadn't asked, it would've stuck in my mind.

I do remember that it was a great tractor.

/ What is "Multi-power"? #7  

My old 1130 has Multi-power...does MF still offer Multi-power as an option on any of their tractors?

BC